• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

PCI-e Bus issue

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

aYanAmI

Just want to say hello to the forum because this is my first post. :beer: Cheers!

I have an Asus P5E motherboard that is only running my eVga 8800gt SC at 8x not the full 16x supported my the Mobo and GPU. They both support Pci-E 2.0 also. Updated the Bios on the GPU and Mobo to the most recent. Also, ran the newest inf update for the X38 chipset and using the newest beta drivers from nVidia. To no success the nVidia Control Panel displays 8x out of Max. 16x and CPU-Z displays the same info. Should I just RMA the board? Anyone run into this issue before?

Also, there are no settings in the BIOS that seem to affect the bus speeds of the PCI-E slots.

try upping the mch voltage or if there is one the pcie voltage.. i need to go look for bios ss's gimee a few..

Shouldn't be a voltage issue...the lanes should just be open, correct?

Yes, I would imagine that they should just be open. I'd check the manufacturer's forums to see if there are any known issues, then contact them and RMA it if nothing is forthcoming. I wouldn't think you'd have to go over default spec just to achieve default PCIe bandwidth.

this issues has happened before on other boards not just this one. it ranges from a number of things. it could be the bios,could need to lock the pcie speed,could need to up the nb or pcie voltage a tad. there is no one silver bullet for this issue as it could be any one of those things... sorry got a bit busy at work, let me go get those ss's.

ok going on you said Asus P5E, i found a review with pics of the bios
www.xbitlabs.com/articles/mainboards/display/asus-p5e_6.html#sect0
first pic shows you where the pcie speed, if your ocing with it at 100 it may not be at 100. that is prolly the case and the most likly one.

next since the bios ss's dont show any pcie voltage increasing. try upping the NB voltage just one notch.

btw what is your transaction booster set to? what about the AI clock twister?

Last edited:
I have all my setting to default as of right now. I will change the pcie speed to see if it helps and jack the nb up a notch to see if there is any difference. Btw thanks for all the help good to talk to people that know what they are talking about.

System doesn't POST when Ai clock twister and transaction booster are increased.

Last edited:
In the BIOS you must lock you PCI-e at 100 maually or when you try to overclock using Ai-Booster the system will hang.

Z

Last edited:
Back