• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Help Upgrading my Mobo and RAM

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Unknown Idiot

Hi Everyone, this is my first post on these forums :beer:

Ok;
I'm currently running an Intel C2Duo E6600 on an MSI P965neo with Corsair Value select 667 ram (2GB).
At the time I was on a tight budget :(
Unfortunately my MSI Mobo is not very OC friendly, and for that matter neither is my el-cheapo ram, as such I'm stuck running my E6600 CPU on stock 2.4ghz, which is a lot lower than it is capable of.

I've been doing a little research, both reading these forums and so google searching and have decided the "Gigabyte GA-P35-DS3R Motherboard Rev2" is my mobo of choice ($165 AUD http://pccasegear.com.au/prod5302.htm)

And as far as ram goes, I'm looking at some "OCZ DDR2 PC2-6400 Reaper HPC 2x2GB" ($286 AUD http://pccasegear.com.au/prod5933.htm)

Any thoughts on these? Or has anybody got any suggestions for better/alternatives for the same price area?

Thanks.

I honestly wouldn't spend so much money on ram that at the most will give you marginally better performance than any other decent pc6400 ram. I'm currently using some G.Skill Pc6400 sticks from the egg (computer has copy+paste restrictions here) in the amount of 4gb. They clock well, and only cost a grand total of around 98$ shipped when I got them.

Too bad Newegg don't post to AU, because their prices are much better than any of our online PC stores. Unfortunately I'd be hard pressed to find 4GB of DDR800 RAM for under $200 here, so the OCZ stuff is quite reasonably priced considering its 4-4-4 latency.

yea given the choices since Gskill isnt ins aussy land from what i have heard... that will be good, keep in might,im not sure how that ram oc's. worst case your stuck with a max of 400fsb but that gives you a possible 3.6ghz cpu clock with the ram to cpufsb ratio at 1:1.

Back