• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

which P35 for E8400 (Gigabyte/Asus/DFI)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Shift_

So my computer is dying (well I think the Powersupply is screwed, my other one got killed in

a pretty bad electrical shock, I put an antec one and it seems to like to kill my system)

So being a student on a budget, I'm salvaging parts from another computer that broke a

while ago, and found out I just need cpu/mobo/ram/powersupply to complete a pc.

After balancing out the price/value ratio, I've decided I'm going to ge the Intel E8400 (3.0

ghz) with Mushkin HP2 6400 1x2GB ram with 4-4-4-12 timings (unless if the 4-5-4-11 is

better) with an OCZ stealthxStream 600W powersupply, and a OCZ Vendetta Heatsink/fan

which is all goign to be crammed in to an Antec Sonata II case.

I'm having problems deciding on which motherboard to get.

At the Higher end of the price range:
Asus P5K-C
Asus P5K
Gigabyte GA-P35-DS3R

At the Lower end of the price range
Asus P5K-SE
Gigabyte GA-P35-DS3L (the cheapest of the bunch)
DFI BI P35-T2RL (don't like the fact that only SOME of the capacitors are solid)

I haven't decided if I need more than 4 SATA ports, I most likely eventually will have 4 harddrives, but I'm concerned if I want to upgrade my burner that I won't be able to find any IDE ones in the future...

Any opinions? I have been trying to read up on as much as I can, but I haven't seen any real comparisions. I've always used asus, I tried looking for abit, but the selection I can find is very limited.

I'm looking for a board that will be rock reliable for the long term (As I only really upgrade parts every few years) and that I can hopefully overclock the E8400 to around 4ghz (if air cooling lets me)

The DFI has the best features/price but it lacks full solid capacitors on all the parts.

if you guys have other suggestions I'm open to them as well :)

I haven't decided if I require the extra SATA ports =/ I wont' need raid, but I might need the extra SATA ports =/

well bigger drives are always coming out...1TB drivers have dropped alot since they first came out they were over $300 now in the mid $200's,well for the seagate 1tb drive anyway.

Back