• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

[ASUS P5N-E SLI] - Cannot Get past 300 FSB w/Q6600

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

divinez0r

All -
Long time reader (reason why I purchased what I have) first time poster. Ive searched the forums and saw a few others having this problem, but no solution.

I have tried to overclock my P5N-E SLI Q6600 past an FSB of 300 (QDR =1200). Ive increased the voltage to Vcore (1.40) North (1.59), and memory (2.01).
All other bios options are their defaults.

On reboot it freezes at the startup screen and I cannot get it to pass POST. CPR does not kick in and i have to clear CMOS every time.

Whats interesting is if I use the P5N-E AI OC and select 20% i can boot into windows, but my memory is overclocked and thus the system becomes unstable, so I know my system can get past the 300 FSB.

Any ideas are welcome, as I have spent extra on fans and watercooling because of the ability for this chip+mobo combo for OC.

Thanks

P.S Memory is 2x1Gb Corsair XMS2 PC6400 DDR2 Sticks in the Black slots.

Possibly try bumping the VDimm voltage up to 2.2 and see if that will get it to come up.

Thats as high as I would go without active cooling on your memory though...

thank you for your reply.

Tried that. No go. Ive also tried bumping up my other voltages.

On a side note, what is the max voltage to these memory chips?
they do have heat spreaders...

I'd say safest w/o active cooling (fans blowing directly on the sticks) is 2.3V.

Thats from personal experience though... YMMV

I'd say safest w/o active cooling (fans blowing directly on the sticks) is 2.3V.

Thats from personal experience though... YMMV
Its not a voltage problem, but the motherboard. That board uses the old revision of the 650i chipset which it and the 680i had major problems getting a Quad much past 300-330 FSB. If you have the cooling and want to push your O/C further, you will need a P35 board.

Back