• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

My BIOS/Mobo is going senile ...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Anubis_386

I just tried to install XP on a spare HDD to dual boot from .. The HDD got a full format before the install and on the first install reboot I get a disc read error .. except with 2 strange coloured symbols replacing normal ones on my post screen ...

BIOSERROR.jpg

The first thing I thought when I saw it was "sh*t! what have i taken?!?!"

I re-formatted the HDD and re-installed XP but the same thing happened so I flashed my BIOS to P31 (680i BIOS) and again re-formatted and re-installed but again a colourful smiley face stared back at me ..

I then gave up and tried booting to my main drive (150GB Raptor) but got a disc read error so repaired my Vista install then it booted fine .. So I think this HDD is pretty f*cked .. Its a Seagate 7200.7 120GB and still in warrenty (I hope) so I'll RMA it ..

Still tho .. this is certainly the wierdist BIOS/POST thing I've ever had come up .. lol

After doing a bit of thread crawling .. Someone suggested that it could be a problem with the memory on my graphics card;

"its because your Northbridge has requested a block of memory that was either corrupted or missenterpreted. Corrupted if your mem is bad, Missenterpreted if your mobo is bad"

This would fit as the random symbols showed up on the post lines for PCI Device Listing and a Memory Controller ..

???

Back