• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

P5W-DH - Won't power up.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Crotonrz

Registered
I will give a quick rundown of my problem, and what I have done so far.

First I had a leak onto my video card from my water loop. I used 'non-conductive' coolant, but have since learned that means nothing. I was experiencing random shut downs and restarts, and the after the last restart, Windows was still booting fine, with no other problems. I assume by the restarts there was obviously something shorting out to some degree, so this is my odyssey since then:

-Started off removing the video card and thoroughly cleaning with Alcohol, allowed to dry for a day, and reinstalled. Computer wouldn't turn on at all.

-Checked powersupply by manually jumping it, and it appeared good. I checked power switch, it was fine, so I assumed it was the motherboard, and ordered a replacement.

-Installed new (but same model) mobo, and computer started, but I didn't get video. Since leak was directly on to the top of the video card, I assumed it was probably a dead duck.

-Ordered new video card, and installed. Computer booted, but still no video. Checked my connections, still no video, and no signs of POSTing (beeps that is).

-During re-checking connections and clearing the CMOS (not directly after either of these), I came back to the same problem I had initially, which was motherboard will not power up. If I turn off the power to the power supply manually, then turn on and try the power switch, it flickers on for a split second (enough to spin the motherboard connected fans a 1/16th of a rotation), then turns off, and will not respond until I manually reset the power supply.

-I have since wised up, and borrowed someone's C2D computer, and tried their power supply and RAM, with no different result. I don't want to try their processor and jack it up, although that seems to be the only thing left at this point. Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks, and excuse the length. Trying to be thorough.

I haven't tried the other PCI-E slot, primarily because it is not usable for a video card as long as mine is, in my case. I replaced the motherboard and video card already, with basically the same end result; power to the motherboard tries to come on, then turns off, and won't try to come back on until you have cycled the power supply off manually.

I have tried a donor power supply, RAM, and processor from a working C2D computer, and nothing makes a difference.

if you have a old pci card laying around it will work also in a pci slot
but it sure sounds like you have a short maybe you hsf or stand off
Rich

Last edited:
Short found

Apparently I was shorting my motherboard, and have since at least got it to turn on, however still not working. Now my problem, other then no video, is that when I plug in the CPU 12v 4pin supply, it will not turn on, and basically acts like it's still grounded. I don't know what exactly what was grounding on the motherboard, but is it safe to assume it is probably a dead duck with this current problem. Also, I tried with another PSU, known good, and it still would not start up at all with the 12v plugged in.

I have tried all manner of minimum hardware, removed all but the power switch connector, and still can't get it to turn on with the 12v plugged in.

Although I recently replaced it, I am assuming I grounded it bad/long enough to toast it (the mobo). Anyone with any ideas?

I did do a CMOS clear, left it for about 2+ hours, with same problem. I think I am going to attempt a RMA on this board, otherwise looks like I learned an expensive lesson about shorting a motherboard. Thanks guys, this has been screwing with me for 3 weeks now.

If it will not boot properly with a new video card and mobo, its something else.

Check the ram, my older system is doing this now. Everything boots up, but no video. I mess with the ram, by switching it different slots, turning it off and on. It will eventually turn on.

Try new ram.. It might help.

Back