• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Intel Gigabyte X38 DS4 bios choices for memory and cpu

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

bwanaaa

I am familiar with the cpu multiplier and the fsb, but this mobo has separate settings for memory. The items are named:

CPU clock ratio (the traditional multiplier)
CPU host frequency (is this the FSB?)

system memory mutliplier (What's this for?!)
...I thought intel memory was QUAD PUMPED
memory frequency (OR is this the FSB?)

From reading the manual, I should set the CPU host frequency for a wolfdale proc (1333 mhz) at 333mhz. When i overclock, and this is raised, should the memory frequency be adjusted also?

I am familiar with the cpu multiplier and the fsb, but this mobo has separate settings for memory. The items are named:

CPU clock ratio (the traditional multiplier)
CPU host frequency (is this the FSB?)

system memory mutliplier (What's this for?!)
...I thought intel memory was QUAD PUMPED
memory frequency (OR is this the FSB?)

From reading the manual, I should set the CPU host frequency for a wolfdale proc (1333 mhz) at 333mhz. When i overclock, and this is raised, should the memory frequency be adjusted also?

CPU host frequency is the FSB, yes.

System Memory Multiplier is the dram:ratio. The FSB is Quad pumped, the memory is just double data rate.

The "Memory frequency" will only tell you what the current Stock FSB (to the left) and what the memory speed(right) is according to what you set the fsb and system multiplier too. The system memory multiplier (dram:ratio) has options like 2.0 2.5 3.20 4.0 and such (FSB*SMM = memory freqeuncy in DDR (for ex 400*2.5 = 1000Mhz DDR).
Or you can just look what speeds it sets, under the "memory frequency" (as said )

Last edited:
thank you. i dont know why they added yet another parameter- the SMM. I am used to another ratio- for example a 333 mhz fsb and 400 mhz memory gives a 5:6 ratio. running memory and fsb at 1:1 would require that the fsb be overclocked to 400 ( i remember that 1:1 ratios are more favorable in intel chips but these ratios dont matter in amd chips- but i dont understand the reason). in a 1:1 scenario, the SMM is 2. Another thing i dont understand is that the board advertises it can do 1600 mhz memory speed. Am i misreading something here- how is that possible with ddr2?

in your sig, you write
• 2x1GB Crucial BallistiX PC2-8500
-1240Mhz 5-5-5-12 - 2.22v (24/7) - (maxed: 1333Mhz 2.42v, 25% OC)
if i am not mistaken, pc8500 is 1066 mhz double data rate (533 mhz speed)To get to 1600 mhz would require pc12800 memory (800 mhz speed).

Since increasing the memory speed does nothing really for the cpu, where does one see advantages in the increased memory bandwidth in the real world? And at what astronomical cost in power(more vdimm needed), heat(more fans and noise needed), and shortened component life??

Last edited:
The SMM is there simply because you may want to change(increase) the memory speed above the FSB to run it faster, or did i missunderstand your q?

I think you read an advertisement of an FSB @ 1600Mhz (4*400Mhz FSB). The memory should be at 1066 or 1200 max for that board, on the specs.

Back