• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Radiator comparison question

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Dice

I am looking to water cool a PC I am building. The goal is to OC to the limits of the mobo and GPU. This will be a mid-range gaming machine. I have an older rig which has been underwater for a couple years now, and am comfortable with WC. Also, low fan noise is preferable as the case will be living on my desk, not on the floor.

The PC:
e6420 (OC goal = 3.2Ghz@ 400Mhz FSB)
1 8600GT (OC goal = whatever the card will do till I can afford a replacement)
I plan to replace the GPU with an 8800 series card, and include it in the loop

The loop parts:
TDX for 775
Maze5 for GPU
DDC with small res top & 1/2" barbs
NZXT Rogue case

My question is:
Will a Thermochill 120.1/BIGTX-120 be adequate for this application, or will it need a larger radiator?

I only ask because when I stopped spending money on WC parts a couple years ago, 240mm+ rads were required for a good CPU/GPU loop. The modern rads seem like they are more able then their older counterparts. That and with the Rogue, space is at a premium. I do know that with modification the Rogue can accept a 240mm radiator, but I will only do that if needs be. (It takes considerable modification to do so.) So, thanks for reading and what say you?

You need to go with a dual rad to handle both a CPU and GPU, especially since you want lower speed fans. You would have to crank up the fans on a single rad, unless you used a PA160.

Ok, so the same is true now that it was then. Not the answer I wanted to hear, but I'm glad I know how it is before dropping cash on a radiator which cannot effectively cool what I need it to.

billb- Thanks for the links. From the info in those resources, I was able to figure out exactly which components I need to cool the system I am building, and get a realistic idea of how much heat the parts I am using will actually generate.

Back