• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

[EVGA 780I]

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

OldSkool

Rest In Peace
Ok, I wasn't quite sure where to put this thread exactly as it is an entire system build I'm looking for suggestions for, I figure this is as good as any. My inquiry is as follows: I'm beginning a build with one basic goal in mind, speed. Currently I'm looking into an EVGA 780i A1 coupled with a Q6600 Go. My best guess for Ram is G.SKILL 4GB(2 x 2GB) (PC2 8000). GPU's possibly 2x EVGA 8800 GT 512mb version with the 650mhz. I will be oc'ing this as much as is possible so I am going to also be narrowing down choices for a complete water cooling system. Any suggestions and thoughts would be a great help. Thank you in advance for any and all input.

:welcome: to the forums! :D

The only thing I would change is the RAM and the GPU's.

For RAM, check out some Crucial Ballistix 800mhz. Most people are pulling 1100+ out of these sticks. I pulled 1200 out of mine, not the limit, I just stopped testing there ;)

For GPU's, pick up a pair of the 8800GTS 512mb, they are faster than the GT's and have bigger coolers. I know you want to move to watercooling, but the GTS 512's clock better :beer:

Thank you for the welcome, i've been trolling for the past week or so and found a massive amount of useful information. Kudos to the Mods ;p Thank you for the quick response as well. If anyone has anything to add, please feel free, I'm looking for all the help i can get.

If you intend to water cool the NB+NF200 chips the only way I've seen it done is with the Koolance CPU-200 block, it covers both chips ..

gpu-200_evga780i.jpg

I believe you meant to type GPU-200 if i'm looking on Koolance's site at the right one. I was also wondering about the CPU Block, I found the central part CPU-330 but the bracketing on the outside of that i can't seem to find.....

for watercooling parts go check these threads:
parts list 1

The SPP NB chipset water blocks in your list will not work or fit on a reference 780i and there is nothing
available that will fit ATM. NV completely changed the mounting hole pattern (made it much wider for
one) and offset the chip dies from the center of the hole pattern. You also now have to take care on
he PR200 chip as well with the same WB. You will also need a replacement Vcore mosfet heatsink when
going to water on the 780i's Spp NB as well.

I have the Vcore mosfet heatsink made and will have a 780i Spp NB/PR200 chip water block ready this
week. Drawings are done and just waiting for raw stock to machine up.

Viper

Just checked your Pictures page Viper .. the Mosfet HS's are looking dam good .. Are you going to be retailing them and the NB/NF200 waterblock?

Yes I will be selling some sets. Active coolers will be an option on the mosfet HS. Just need to
get the raw stock in for the WB's (hopefully Tuesday) and then machine up a complete unit to
test fit everything and run with my eVGA 780i before making several. The CAD work is done...
just need the materials to come in now.

I knew I would have to make a mosfet HS for the 780i from the gitgo but like others I had just
planned to reuse the SPP NB WB from my 680i on the 780i. That went right out the window
when I pulled the stock cooler setup off to take measurement for the mosfet HS.

Viper

Was tempted to get a evga 780i because the price had droped a bit but now I hear there is going to be a better 780i FTW with a water cooled NB and soild state caps...

Back