• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Madshrimps 6 High End CPU blocks tested

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

meionm

Link to MAdshrimps
http://www.madshrimps.be/?action=getarticle&articID=627

Danger TDX
Dtek Fuzion
Swiftech GT
Swiftech GTX
Enzo Saphire
Koolance Cpu330

Conclusion

The D-Tek Fuzion has earned a reputation as the block to best in our Triad Elections. Fuzion is a well balanced water-block employing what may be the most sophisticated extruded-pin base on the market, augmented by a highly effective multi-port return system. D-Tek's Fuzion looks to be the epitome of what an "ideal" base-plate might look like. While not as involved in its plumbing as a micro-jet (mini-cup) model, it is nonetheless a carefully conceived and well executed design. The Fuzion is well worth its $69 price tag.

PRO
excellent performer
high quality construction and finish
minimal foot-print

CON
absence of back plate
one barb needs to be elevated to secure tubing
worm drive bands could be supplied for the price

Other considerations, prices, comments:

Koolance CPU330 is a very solid and consistent performer with a lot going for it. The CPU330 is the only water-block in this round-up to be constructed entirely of metal. Its unique pins are massive and have a unique Pyramid shape. Its cross flow design gives this block a lot more versatility where pressure is concerned. This block came with the best mounting hardware with one exception, the back-plate design. While the back-plate most definitely prevents "bowing" it may due more harm then good because of the absence of material encircling the reverse side of the socket. The fact Koolance did benefit somewhat when used with the X design plate, indicates something may be amiss. The CPU330 is a departure from the usual Koolance water-block and now places the company in the high performance realm. The CPU330 is $49.95 at Koolance.

Danger Den Copper-TDX is a tried and true design which has withstood the test of time. This block is dependent on a high pressure, high speed pumps for the best performance. TDX was not designed with multi-core blocks in mind as yet it performed very well on the Q6600 even though its primary impingement area much smaller then the four cores below. This speaks volumes about the effectiveness of this design. I wouldn't necessarily recommend TDX for Quad Core processors, although for Single and Dual core models the TDX is still a great design. I hope to see Danger Den redesign the TDX impingement zone for use with Quad Cores. They do make the MC-TDX this is a rather extreme depature from the original. The Copper-TDX can be purchased direct fron Danger Den for $52

Swiftech Apogee GT and Apogee GTX are very similar in design, the primary difference being the distance between the inlet and outlet. The GTX has a few more mm between the inlet and outlet which give it an advantage over the GT especially in Quad Core applications. I am constantly surprised by how well the Apogee series of water blocks perform. On the face of it the design seems to be just mundane, however; its performance belies that simplicity. Swiftech employed computational fluid dynamic modeling to produce their Diamond Pin Matrix pattern. Both the Apogee GT and GTX can be found at SidwinderComputers for $44 and $59 respectively.

EnzoTech Sapphire SCW-1 is a well designed water-block and has a few things in common with D-Tek's Fuzion. Both utilize a mid-chamber with mini-return ports creating pressure which draws the fluid stream from the center to the circumference in a centrifugal pattern. This design gives the best of both worlds, center impingement (with all that entails) and a larger internal foot-print conducive to Quad Core processors. The Sapphire has been in such large demand most stores are out of stock. For those interested, the Sapphire SCW-1 can be found at Sidewinder Computers for $67.

So what you think?

i'm happy with the performence or the dtek water block ... just ordered the new back plate from dtek ...

27668_l.jpg

that's because they are all great, the difference in performance between high end water cooling blocks is negligible, it's not performance which will be deciding factor, availability, price and mounting system are:)

Performance is not the deciding factor for CPU blocks but what about GPU blocks? Same I assume?

On a side note, mind looking at my thread on WC a GPU please?

Back