• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

P5W DH Wireless AP issues

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

oakstave

Sorry in advance for a long post. I have very low expectations here... If I froth a bit at the mouth, it's because I'm beginning to feel I shall never use Asus software again if I can help it.

Our wireless router died, and I thought this would be a great time to show off one of the reasons I paid so much for this board: The wireless AP function. How cool to use your computer as an access point for the house.

Installed the Asus drivers, used the wizard to set the AP point. No problems. Also, no connection. Everyone could see the AP, but no one could connect to it. I tried switching the ethernet connector to upper and lower connectors with no luck.

So I tried to uninstall the drivers... Crash. Froze in the uninstall process. Cntrl/Alt/Delete, shut down. Hangs on "Windows is shutting down". Hard reboot, then I uninstall, and tried the Realtek drivers.

Exact same result, although now I get random errors from Vista. "Application layer has stopped working and will shut down..." stuff.

So I looked about Asus forums. Every single post on this issue says the same thing. "This POS won't show the internet connection." "How could Asus have released this thing when it clearly doesn't work". The only person who claimed they could get a signal out of this tripe is someone who disabled all the firewalls on his computers.

An Asus representative had the audacity to claim that the fact that it worked with no firewalls was proof that the wireless ap solo worked, and it was instead the fault of every single firewall on the market. Interesting eh? BTW, We have two laptops using Windows firewalls, and one Mac my daughter uses. The fact that all three have the same problem speaks volumes to me.

I won't run an open wap, and I won't run without firewalls... So has ANYONE gotten the AP function to work on the Asus P5W DH??

As a side note, I have one by one had to uninstall every single Asus application related to this board. PC Probe 2 would abnormally shut down, using 50% cpu to do... nothing. I would occasionally get a pop up that said "I AM SERVICE!" which was apparently some buggy help application that they forgot to remove. I'm beginning to wonder what species of primate they used to program these apps on this very expensive motherboard.

Suggestions? Rants? All welcome.

Last edited:
Nevermind... sigh.

I went ahead and bought a new wireless router for the house. Curse you Asus!

Back