• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Cold Rig... HOT CPU? Help

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

rudevandal

I just booted up for the first time with my WC system installed. The system kept turning off after a few seconds SO, I turned the A/C in my house down, got my room to 58F, got just WC system running so the coolant/rad would get nice and cold... waited and then booted up again. The temp readings for the System were <30C, the GPUs were <30C, but the CPU was 90+ and then got over 100C! All I was doing was watching the temp monitor for the CPU go up 1C a tick...

The only thing I could think of is I didn't put the right amount of thermal paste? But I'm positive I put a good layer on and smoothed it over the whole CPU evenly... and put the APOGEE GTX on real tight. Could a paste mistake even cause such high temps?

Other than the paste I have no idea why I am getting these ridiculous CPU temps. I reset all the bios setting to default so the cpu is getting the right amount of volts. Everything but the CPU is cold... ???

Any ideas what this might be from? My room is freezing! :confused:

WC:
Swiftech Radiator MCR320 QP 3X120mm
Swiftech APOGEE GTX
Swiftech STEALTH Full coverage (x2)
Swiftech MCP655 12 VDC Pump
Danger Den Bay Res

Rig:
EVGA 680i SLI T1 Version
Intel QX6850
Corsair Dominator 1G (x2)
GeForce 8800GTX (x2)

Please help, thanks in advance

a decent layer that I smoothed with a credit card over the CPU... not enough to make it spill over the sides when I pressed the waterblock but a good amount. would that cause such high temps?

did you evenly screw on the waterblock? do a criss cross pattern when your tightening down the screws.

What program are you using to monitor your temperatures?

Your motherboard may not be reading the temperatures correctly, try flashing to the latest bios.

I checked both the nvidia monitor & bios... both shows the +90c temp. Could an excessive amount of thermal paste cause really high temps like this?

you might want to dismantle you blocks and clean them out as well, and clean out your rad, something might be blocking the flow

Try this method

a decent layer that I smoothed with a credit card over the CPU... not enough to make it spill over the sides when I pressed the waterblock but a good amount. would that cause such high temps?

Click the smiley and try the method stated :)

so after all my modding and cooling... doing everything by the book... i make the biggest noob mistake ever. i wasn't going to post a reply but I figure I'll be the example to show that anyone can be a retard. i used to laugh at people who this happend too... now I am one of them. oh well, problem solved.

8x7eyd.jpg

I don't know if I would be so brutally honest as a 'new guy' on some forum. My hats off to you.

As I looked at that photo you took, couldn't help but notice that it is actually quite a nice shot... So, here. An avatar for you if you want it.

rudevandal.jpg

so after all my modding and cooling... doing everything by the book... i make the biggest noob mistake ever. i wasn't going to post a reply but I figure I'll be the example to show that anyone can be a retard. i used to laugh at people who this happend too... now I am one of them. oh well, problem solved.

If it makes you feel better, I've made a couple of silly mistakes (and posts), and your honesty makes me feel better. You're all right.....and from one noob to another....welcome aboard.

so whats she running like now?

Were you alone when you solved your puzzle? Its always fun to have someone else witness something like that.

Back