• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

New watercooling system

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Ant1jr

Registered
My Coolit Eliminator failed and I am looking for a new water cooling system. At the moment it needs to cool an E4300 @ 3.15 ghz + 1.36 volts but I would like to have a bit of headroom.

It needs to be around $170 with everything I need (clamps, tubing, coolant). Also, I would prefer non-conductive coolant.

I don't know much about water cooling, so I hope you can help. Thanks!

The stickys at the beginning of the water cooling topics have a wealth of information....I'm getting ready for my first system and they helped me a lot.

Yep, and I've read them, but every loop I configure ends up being $180-200.

I truly understand budget limitations....a wife and 2 kids here. !

I waited till I could get the components that are recommended. Going thru the expense and work (a.k.a fun) of building the rig that will give good performance is worth it, even if you have to get the stuff an item or two at a time. I saved some $ by going with a 77 Bonneville heater core vs one of the rads made specifically for wc. Heater core was about $30. :beer:

For the coolant just use distilled water with a little bit of algaecide and iodine. Nothing expensive needed here.

How can I find a heater core good for water cooling? What should I look for?

*I don't really want to have to weld, but if I have to, I suppose that I can.

Heater core choice depends on how much room you have. Are you wanting to put everything inside your case, or going external with the rad? I went with the 77 Bonneville because it is a fairly large one (the core itself is 10 3/4 by 5 1/2)....i'm putting all my components (except cpu cooler of course) in an external enclosure....space was not a limitation for me.

No actual welding needed. I found a step by step mod thru google by searching 77 bonneville heater core computer watercooling. Shows how to remove the intake/outlet pipes and installing the barbs....this mod would work for whatever heater core you go with.

What about this config from danger den? I like the idea of a pre-modded heater core.

Attachments

• liquidsetup.jpg
    liquidsetup.jpg
    79.6 KB · Views: 212
I would skip the hose clamps...wire ties should work fine and be cheaper.
Go with 1/2" (vs 3/8") components.
Personally I would go with tygon tubing. Expensive yes, but if the cheaper tubing kinks on you it will cause extra headaches for you.

That heater core should work. Don't forget you'll need a fan and possibly a shroud.

Sidewinder Computers has the newer Swiftech cpu coolers for $60 or slightly under...check them out.

Not familiar with that pump; can't help you there.

1.I would skip the hose clamps...wire ties should work fine and be cheaper.

2.Go with 1/2" (vs 3/8") components.

3.Personally I would go with tygon tubing. Expensive yes, but if the cheaper tubing kinks on you it will cause extra headaches for you.

4.That heater core should work. Don't forget you'll need a fan and possibly a shroud.

5.Sidewinder Computers has the newer Swiftech cpu coolers for $60 or slightly under...check them out.

Not familiar with that pump; can't help you there.

1. Somehow I'm not comfortable with that....

2. Alright

3. K

4. Check under the heater core in the details, I have them.

5. Looking...

**How much better is the Swiftech block than the one I chose?

I agree with DoubleB. Especially concerning the 1/2" barbs. Here is why: That waterblock you are choosing is designed to perform best under high flow. Most of the other high-end waterblocks nowadays use extruded pin technology to allow the water to wick the heat off of the waterblock. The MC-TDX OTOH still uses impingment technology. To allow the block to function as designed, you should consider larger tubing. Doing so will also help you when you go to plug the tubing onto the barbs on that heatercore. I also don't know much about that pump. You might want to explore other options before deciding on your pump. I understand that you have a tight budget. Keep in mind that watercooling well is expensive.

Yeah 1/2 inch tubing sounds better...

But about the pump, I couldn't find any full reviews on it but I've seen nothing but good, if brief, comments. If it does turn out to not be a very good pump, what difference in celsius am I looking at from a somewhat more expensive one. This pump seems absolutely perfect for my budget.

By wire ties I do mean electrical "zip" ties....please don't think I'm talking about something like bread twisty ties. Could also probably get the metal worm drive clamps for less than the ones listed in your orig post.

Definitely need some type of clamp...just pointing out areas where you can cut costs without creating problems

I understand, but what is a good, relatively cheap pump around my price range?

I don't know a lot about pumps. I went with the Swiftech MCP655-B; Sidewinder has it for 69.95.....may be over your budget...but it is a good pump based on what I have read.

That's a little expensive, but I will consider it. But still, how much would a bad pump screw up my loop?

**I just looked around, and people are saying that the one I chose is good for cpu-only loops. Some people, upon adding a gpu block, bought another and went Res->Pump1->CPU->Pump2->GPU->Rad

Last edited:
The way I see it is if you can somehow fit the better pump into the project budget, you will be better off in the long run.
For arguments' sake, let's say you get the $45 pump, but add a 2nd, like others have done. That is $90.
Or you get the $45 pump and it dies soon. Now you buy another. $90 again.
Or, you get the $45 pump and you find it lacking, and get the $70 pump. $115.
Finally, you could get the $70 pump now, and be done. $70.

I use a variation of that $70 pump and many, many folks here do also. I can vouch for it as a quality pump. Been running strong for over 2 years in a usually-on PC.

1. For arguments' sake, let's say you get the $45 pump, but add a 2nd, like others have done. That is $90.

2.Or you get the $45 pump and it dies soon. Now you buy another. $90 again.

3.Or, you get the $45 pump and you find it lacking, and get the $70 pump. $115.

4.Finally, you could get the $70 pump now, and be done. $70.

1. Very true.

2.Well it is Danger Den, I doubt that it'll just die, and if it does I can return it.

3. Also, return.

4. Yep, but that stresses my budget.

I'll keep looking and try to work that pump into my budget. But even though $90 is more than $70, it's taken in halves, making it less painful. I probably won't even get a gpu block.

I would stay away from the pump you have listed. It does not have a reputation for being a good pump. I put together a sample shopping list from crazypc.com for $151.21 + shipping. These parts are all quality parts that add up to less than your total, and that is with a DD fillport thrown in using a T-line for bleeding. You could alternatively add $20 for a Swiftech microres if you wanted to. You would have to run adapters possibly on the apogee drive block as it has 3/8" barbs. Otherwise, this should serve you well on your budget.

sample-shopping-carg.jpg

Back