• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Need help choosing a good mobo to oc

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

macstranded

Does anyone have any experienced opinions on which mobos can get the highest oc and still run stable? I am planning on getting the e8400 CPU and 2gb DDR2 1066. Right now I am leaning towards the MSI P7N Diamond, but I haven't seen many user reviews on it. My other options are the GA-X38-DQ6, the eVGA 132-CK-NF78-A1, or the ASUS P5K Deluxe.
I was also wondering if any of you have seen DDR3 in action and if it would be worth it to go with a board that supports DDR3 for when I get a better CPU down the road? If so I will probably go with either the GA-X38T-DQ6 or the ASUS P5K3 Deluxe.
If anyone has any praises or dirt on any of the above boards or others that I may have missed, please let me know.

first off :welcome: to the forums any of the p5ks or x38 will oc well better then nv chipsets less your plans are to run sli.far as ddr3 goes i dont think its worth it at this time cost wise over ddr2
Rich

first off :welcome: to the forums any of the p5ks or x38 will oc well better then nv chipsets less your plans are to run sli.far as ddr3 goes i dont think its worth it at this time cost wise over ddr2
Rich

I was planning on running SLI and maybe crossfire. (I'm not even sure which boards have crossfire though) Are the boards you mentioned good for OCing in this case? Also, I heard that the ASUS boards tend to have problems. Do you know about what the common issues with these boards are?

ip35-pro is really great and so is the p5k.

The IP35-PRO does look pretty nice, but no SLI support. :confused:

I plan on using my pc mainly for gaming so I am looking for a board that will support the latest graphics technologies.

in my oppinion sli and nvidia is better, if I were you I would get the ip 35 pro with a 9800 gx2 when it comes out or get a 790i mobo when they come out and get 3 way sli 9800 gx2(6 gfx cards in one pc!).

in my oppinion sli and nvidia is better, if I were you I would get the ip 35 pro with a 9800 gx2 when it comes out or get a 790i mobo when they come out and get 3 way sli 9800 gx2(6 gfx cards in one pc!).

3 GPUs!? :eek: If only my pockets were that deep. I can afford 2, but nothing above $400/card. I am hoping that I can build a rig that will keep up with new games for the next 2-3 years without going over $2500 total. I would wait for the 790i chipset to come out, but when that time comes it will probably only be a few months away from the next new thing. I'll just get what I can now and jump on the next big landmark and do my upgrades then.

Another thing I was wondering about is what type of board would be better if I were to get a 3870X2 GPU? Would I need a board that supports crossfire or does the GPU take care of itself? Also, is it possible to run two of these cards with SLI or would it be too much to handle?

nvidia cards are better per price, ati cards have higher clocks but dont perform as well as a nvidia.get a 8800gts g92 or a 8800 gtx. if xfire is a must you have to have a xfire capable board and set it up, it just dosent hapen on its own. get a ip35-pro or a x38 chip set board that says it supports xfire. x38 has faster xfire than p35 but not by to much.

well 780i/790i does bring 3 way single card sli. the 9800GX2 brigns quad sli since each board has 2 gpus, no you cant use 3, not enough sli bridges on the pcb.

i would figure out what you want CF or SLI then go from there. the other factors you will want to look at is FPS benches on the resolutions you play on. that way when your looking at cards you can see which one is the better buy. if both cards are making over 100fps in your game and you run vsync on. why spend more?

well 780i/790i does bring 3 way single card sli. the 9800GX2 brigns quad sli since each board has 2 gpus, no you cant use 3, not enough sli bridges on the pcb.

i would figure out what you want CF or SLI then go from there. the other factors you will want to look at is FPS benches on the resolutions you play on. that way when your looking at cards you can see which one is the better buy. if both cards are making over 100fps in your game and you run vsync on. why spend more?

Sorry for my extreme newbieness but what is the difference between having two GPUs running on SLI as opposed to two GPUs on a non SLI supported mobo?

nvidia cards are better per price, ati cards have higher clocks but dont perform as well as a nvidia.get a 8800gts g92 or a 8800 gtx. if xfire is a must you have to have a xfire capable board and set it up, it just dosent hapen on its own. get a ip35-pro or a x38 chip set board that says it supports xfire. x38 has faster xfire than p35 but not by to much.

Thanks for the response, but I am so confused by this. I saw the benchmark tests with the 3870X2 and they used one pc with a CF mobo and one pc with a SLI mobo. Why make a CF supported GPU for a non CF supported mobo if you can't use it to it's full potential? Or, on the other hand, if it does work just as well on a SLI mobo then what is the benefit of CF? My head hurts.

Sorry for my extreme newbieness but what is the difference between having two GPUs running on SLI as opposed to two GPUs on a non SLI supported mobo?
well the difference would be no performance gain. since you wont be able to run sli, since both cards are not sharing the load. where as 2 cards in a non sli mobo, if you had a say a quad core cpu. you could if wanted play 2 games at once, one on each screen.

well the difference would be no performance gain. since you wont be able to run sli, since both cards are not sharing the load. where as 2 cards in a non sli mobo, if you had a say a quad core cpu. you could if wanted play 2 games at once, one on each screen.

I see. So CF mobos still only has the option to run one card at most (other than for unpractical purposes). That kinda blows. I was excited when I saw all of the reviews for the 3870X2, but if one slot is all I get then I need to reconsider. :shrug: *sigh* When did it become so difficult to choose a pc. Do you know if there are any plans to combine CF and SLI in the future?

I think there was a thred a while back with a guy who put spesial hp bios on a striker extream to get sli and cross fire but I dont remember where.

Any kind of bios or circuitry modding is beyond me. :shrug:

Do you know what might happen if you tried running a X2 CF GPU on an nVidia board? Would it only use one of the two cards or do you think it would just not work at all?

i was in the air about the asus and the Gigabyte.. having built with both brands, I really like the Gigabyte, but i still dont disgaurd the asus. If I had to do it again i'd do gigabyte

cf wont work but the 2 cards will as i described above...

cf wont work till the flash as cabose said.

Back