• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Need some advice

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

kfish2oo2

Hey guys, just wondered if you could offer some advice. I recently got an awesome deal on a Dell Outlet Inspiron 530 (about 50-75% off!), but am very dissapointed in the motherboard. Heres the specs for my rig:

Intel Core 2 Duo E6750 @ 2.66GHz 1,333FSB
2GB Kinston RAM (667MHz)
2x320 SATA 7,500RPM HDD
Foxconn G33 Motherboard @ 333MHz (--Not sure about make and model, I believe its been modified by Dell)

Now, my question to you is, what is the cheapest motherboard I can get that will take full advantage of the CPU? There are of course a few things essential: at least one PCIe x16 port, one PCI, 6+ USB ports and on board sound.

Also, just a quick question: EVEREST Ultimate Edition tells me that the "Real CLock" of my motherboard is 333MHz, but underneath that it says "Effective Clock" is at 1,333MHz. Whats the difference?

the cpus buss, is a quad pumped buss. Taking the actual fsb and multipling it by 4 times. 333mhz x 4=1333fsb,just as a cpu with 1066 effective buss is 266mhz actual buss.

the cheapest P35 based board is ATX $89.99 on newegg, Gigabyte P35-DS3L. there is also the Abit IP35-E with a $30 MIR, making it $79.

since you say its G33 based that MATX board. where you gonna try to fix the new board in the case? buy a new case/psu/mobo and reuse as much from the other one?

the cpus buss, is a quad pumped buss. Taking the actual fsb and multipling it by 4 times.

So does that mean the motherboard is fully utilizing the CPUs speed?
If that is the case, I'll stick to this motherboard and invest in some performance RAM instead. I beleive the Kingston sticks in here are fairly poor.

By the way, would disabling the onboard graphics have any noticeable perfomance impact? I'm using a Sapphire Radeon X1950 Pro, so I have no use for the onboard stuff.

Finally, would anyone happen to know a way of finding out exactly what model mobo it is? All the software I have can only tell me that its from Dell, even though it has a nice shiny Foxconn logo on the heatsink. I saw G33 on one of the stickers, but there seems to be a few G33 models.

Cheers :)

that first question is not really answerable. since no setup can fully utilize the cpus speed. you still have bottlenecks thru out the system, whiether it be ram or the pcie slots. cause the other busses run slower then the buss from the NB to the cpu. all the data had to go thru the NB first to get to the cpu.

disabling the onboard graphics wont affect actaul computer performance. it will though if left on use some ram for the graphics card memory.

well look on foxconn's site and find one that matches closest to it. i did only find one on newegg but there is no telling if they are using the same board or not.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813186125

I meant that first question more in the context of: if I upgraded motherboards, would I see an improvement in CPU performance?
Its looks alot like that, but the PCIe x1 Port is below the PCIe x16 Port and the heatsink is slightly closer to the PCIe X16 slot. Also, the RAM slots are all blue, opposed to 2 being yellow.
EDIT: Apparantly FOX-ONE doesnt support this mobo. I think it must be some kind of Dell comissioned board. Its architecture is perfeclty suited to the Inspiron 530 case (which is very pretty, I must say, and well designed)

Last edited:
Back