• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Asus P5E won't boot

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

dizzy0113

Registered
Any ideas on what I can try to get my system to boot?

I turn it on and all the fans are spinning, but it never POST and nothing shows up on the monitor. I've unplugged the hard drives and optical drives and only have a PS2 keyboard plugged in and nothing.

I tried clearing the CMOS already and got the same result.

you just put this system togher? if so im guessin the current bios dont support the 45nm chip in your sig and needs to be updated before it will post.

they are shipping with older bios that dont support it :/ only reason i havent bought a new board yet.

Actually the retail box it came in says supports 45nm

So my new case didn't have a speaker so I connected the speaker of my old case to the P5E and got it to give me beep codes with no ram. I then put one stick back in and it booted.

I have no idea why it started to work, but hey I'm not complaining :)

Hi
I just purchased a P5E-WS-Pro motherboard and had the same problem.
I took out my old P5AD2E board and replaced it with the P5E
Same CPU, USB things etc. Different RAM and Graphics card.
(I updated the BIOS to the latest version)

I turned it on and nothing.
Eventually it got going.
On some reboots it would not start.
I found that the green LED light on the board would be flashing instead of being on.
I did as you did, unplugged everything one by one.
Eventually I unplugged my PS2 keyboard and it powered on.
As it was powering on, I plugged the keyboard back in.

This only happens during a cold start, not doing a software reboot.
If it does not power on, I unplug keyboard, press power button, as it starts up, plug PS2 back in.

Hi
I just purchased a P5E-WS-Pro motherboard and had the same problem.
I took out my old P5AD2E board and replaced it with the P5E
Same CPU, USB things etc. Different RAM and Graphics card.
(I updated the BIOS to the latest version)

I turned it on and nothing.
Eventually it got going.
On some reboots it would not start.
I found that the green LED light on the board would be flashing instead of being on.
I did as you did, unplugged everything one by one.
Eventually I unplugged my PS2 keyboard and it powered on.
As it was powering on, I plugged the keyboard back in.

This only happens during a cold start, not doing a software reboot.
If it does not power on, I unplug keyboard, press power button, as it starts up, plug PS2 back in.

I had this problem as well. I found that the insulation on the i/o plate that snaps into the case was really tight on the PS/2 port and if I held the cord at a certain angle it would boot, like the insulation was shorting it out. I just bought a USB keyboard and that sure fixed it.

When it doesn't boot, what color do the onboard LEDs stay? If its posting correctly, 3 of them will turn green, and green only. If its not POSTing at all, then they stay orange, red, and green continually. When I had that problem, it was because there wasn't enough pressure from my heatsink on my CPU.

Hey, I have a similar problem and this is the second ASUS P5E board I've purchased (first one I can't return, this one I can); I get no display and no bios POST beeps upon boot. I've checked the compatibility of all the parts and they work --

Asus P5E
Intel Quad Core Q6600 2.4Ghz
ATI HD 3850
2x1GB DDR2-800 RAM (checked and it is compatible)
450w generic power supply

The diagnosing I've done makes me think that I may only need to upgrade my power supply or update the BIOS. All the fans turn on inside except for the graphics card, which is why I am going to upgrade the psu. If that doesn't work and I still get no POST beeps, I'm going to try updating the bios revision or trying to exchange this board at the store I bought it from.

Beyond that, does anyone else have an idea on how to solve my mobo problems? It's not normal for an Asus board to fail like this but it seems this particular model is faulty for a lot of people.

In any case, both of my Asus P5E boards worked fine. The only thing that was wrong was my power supply being at 450w. An upgrade to 600w made it work fine.

Well thanks for nothing guys, I got it working. I had hopes that the OC Forums would be helpful and that I would eventually be able to help out other people as well. I guess I was wrong -- it's filled with leeches.

Goodbye, OC Forums. May you actually help people out one day and grow your regular users.

In any case, both of my Asus P5E boards worked fine. The only thing that was wrong was my power supply being at 450w. An upgrade to 600w made it work fine.

Well thanks for nothing guys, I got it working. I had hopes that the OC Forums would be helpful and that I would eventually be able to help out other people as well. I guess I was wrong -- it's filled with leeches.

Goodbye, OC Forums. May you actually help people out one day and grow your regular users.

wow, dont let the door hit you on the way out!

maybe next time make your own post instead of tryin to hijack someone elses and you might get some help.

you fail at life, GTFO

I had hopes that the OC Forums would be helpful and that I would eventually be able to help out other people as well. I guess I was wrong -- it's filled with leeches.

:confused:

I am sorry all of us didn't put our lives on hold to fix YOUR hardware problem. Did you notice the original poster was offered several solutions to his problem?

Back