• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Getting back into watercooling. Input appreciated.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

gibletzor

It's been a while since my last experience with watercooling, and it wasn't really so great. I made the mistake of buying one of those pre-packaged Koolance watercooling cases. I've been on air now for a couple of years, but I've been interested in getting back into water, both for the decreased temps, and potential decrease in noise since my computer lives in my bedroom with me. I'm wanting to go slow in getting my feet wet this time, instead of just jumping right in on my own.

I've been looking at a few of the prebuilt kits from Swiftech and Petra's Tech. Like these with single 120mm radiators:
Petra Coolkit Lite
Swiftech H20-120

or these with 240mm radiators:
Petra's Coolkit Basic
Swiftech H20-220
Swiftech Apex Ultra

For now I'm just wanting to put water on the CPU. Possibly do the GPU later on down the road. My main question is, will the 120mm radiator kits cool an E8400 effectively? I know from reading that a single 120mm radiator isn't quite enough for a CPU and GPU, and some aren't enough for newer dual cores, and they're definitely not enough for newer quad cores. I guess if I'm wanting to do the GPU later on down the road that the 240mm radiator would probably be the better bet for future proofing though...

Also, I'm looking at getting a new case at the same time. I've been looking at the Antec P182 and Thermaltake Armor, both with and without the 250mm side fan. I like the layout of the P182, but it looks a little small for watercooling, unless the radiator was mounted externally. The Armor has loads of room for just about anything. I'd like to keep everything internal if possible, so input from people with the P182 and internal radiators would be welcome. It looks like the single 120mm rads would probably mount inside just fine, but the 240mm looks like it would have nowhere to go.

And yes, things are going to be overclocked. My E8400 is at 3.6 right now, but anything higher gets a little toasty and quite loud.

I'm wanting to keep this as cheap as possible, but quality is more of a concern than price. I just don't want to go too overboard for now. I'm definitely staying away from anything made my Koolance, Thermaltake, etc.. this time around.

Thanks in advance!

What I got, future proof for cooling, except the GPU block will have to be replaced down the road. The rad is plenty big for CPU/GPUx2.

Rad: PA 120.3 $135 JAB
Rad fittings: EK High Flow (G3/8 thread, ½” OD) $6 Pet
Rad Shroud: PA 120.3 shroud $19 JAB
Pump: Laing D5 MCP655 vario DD ver. $83 Pet
Res: EK-Multioption RES 100 rev.2 $34 JAB
EK Anti Cyclone: $2.50 JAB
Tubing: Tygon Silver 1/2x3/4 15’ $56 USP
T fitting for drain: Delrin T $8 Pet
Drain port: Delrin Fillport $12 JAB
Clamps: Stainless worm drive w/liner (15) $19 Pet
Biocide: PT-Nuke $3 Pet
Blocks:
DTek FuZion CPU $62 Pet
D-Tek FuZion Accelerator Nozzle Kit $7 Pet
Dtek FuZion Intel 775 Pro-Mount set $12 Jab
IONE for NVIDIA G92 GT and GTS $116 DD
NB block: Swiftech MCW30 Chipset block $28 Jab

Store code:
DD is Danger Den
Pet is Petras
Jab is Jab-Tech

I posted this a few days ago in another thread, but this is an economical yet solid shopping list. You would just have to use adapters to go from the 3/8" barb to the 7/16" masterkleer.

You need to go with a dual rad. There is always a way to mount it, you just have to be a little creative.

sample-shopping-carg.jpg

Will the pump that's built into the Apogee Drive 350 be sufficient if I want to do the GPU as well? That's what 2 of the Swiftech kits I linked to use for the CPU block.

Also, I'm not sure which adapters you're referring to. I don't see any on the CrazyPC site that look like they would work for that pump...

Last edited:
Will the pump that's built into the Apogee Drive 350 be sufficient if I want to do the GPU as well? That's what 2 of the Swiftech kits I linked to use for the CPU block.

Also, I'm not sure which adapters you're referring to. I don't see any on the CrazyPC site that look like they would work for that pump...
I have to disagree with my respected colleague Voights
advice to go to larger tubing.
3/8" works just fine and eliminates the adaptors, plus, the smaller tubing is easier to route.

You could easily add a GPU block to that loop should you desire although I'd probably move up to a 120.3 radiator if that's the plan.
If a GPU block might be in the future, I'd go with the larger rad to start.

OK. This is what I've got so far.

Swiftech Apogee Drive 350 Pump / CPU water block combo = $89.00
Swiftech MCR320-QP-K Triple 120mm Radiator =$48.95
Swiftech MCRES-Micro Res =$18.95
ClearFLEX 60 Tubing 3/8" ID / 5/8" OD x 10ft =$8.90
Plastic Tubing Clamps - Black x8 =$3.20
YATE LOON 120mm Case Fan - D12SL-12 x5 =$15.00

Total =$184

This is all from jab-tech. I feel like I'm forgetting something though... :confused:

I think I'm more comfortable with the res right now. So aside from the obvious water... and additives, think I'm good to go?

I just ordered my Thermaltake Armor tonight too! :beer:

I have to disagree with my respected colleague Voights
advice to go to larger tubing.
3/8" works just fine and eliminates the adaptors, plus, the smaller tubing is easier to route.

You could easily add a GPU block to that loop should you desire although I'd probably move up to a 120.3 radiator if that's the plan.
If a GPU block might be in the future, I'd go with the larger rad to start.

I have absolutely no issue with using 3/8" tubing. I just suggested the 7/16" because that was the first thing I came across.

I also agree on the larger rad. It is better to buy one that will give you room to grow and require less cfms in the process to effectively cool.

Your list looks good, although I personally don't care for Clearflex as it clouds up very quickly. All vinyl tubing will develop a whitish film on the insides after some time, but Clearflex is a lot faster about doing so. I'd pay a few bucks more and go ahead and get the Tygon R3603 for $1.75 per foot. It takes a lot longer for it to cloud up, and it is really the best tubing you can buy short of hard copper (my personal favorite).

I'm quite fond of the black Tygon r3400.

All the benefits of clear Tygon without the clouding issues and it could be argued that the opaque tubing blocks light and thus, deprives nasties of a requirement for growth.

Oh, who am I fooling...black tubing just looks good.

Ok changed to the R3603 3/8" ID 5/8" OD tubes. Can't find the black tubes anywhere in my size. Clear is fine though.

I'm startin to get pretty pumped about this. Will probably order all this stuff here in the next couple of weeks, unless someone can come up with a valid reason to drastically change what I have. I'm going to use several vacation days at work over spring break so I can have 4-5 days to sit and work on this if I want to.

Couple more questions...

Running 3 more 120mm fans and the pump won't put too much extra strain on my Corsair 520HX will it?

And what would you recommend for a GPU water block? From what I can see, the Swiftech MCW-60R looks to be the best bang for the buck. True, False? I really don't want one of those huge full coverage water blocks...

The MCW-60 is a great GPU block! Just make sure you have the right mounting kit if the regular kit doesn't come with what you need.
Check the Swiftech site, they're very good about listing which kits fit which cards - and which ones don't fit ...

Fans? Nope. Pump maybe 25 watts, your fine on that. And you'll be removing at least one if not 6 (like me) fans to go WCing. And if you go PA 120.3 rad, my 3 fans are on as low as they will go.

The MWC 60 is a great block for the GPU. Whats kinda new is the DD IONE even has better flow than the MWC 60. Just don't forget the added expense of air heatsinks for the Mem and Mosfets. There are heatsink kits for sale, don't know a ton 'bout them but others can fill ya in.

And ask about cleaning the mem and mosfets so your HS don't fall off. Just get the ArticClean chip cleaner kit. Good stuff. Ohh check out Thermaltakes FAQ on that, look under the HR03GT area....

Thanks everyone for the info! I should get my Armor early next week, and after I do some planning, probably order the water gear late next week so I have it here to work on over spring break.

Now I know what I need to look for though! :beer:

Back