• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

OCZ Memory

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

xCarne_Asada

I am planning on getting a stick of 512mb pc150 at Cas 3. Does OCZ Tech have good memory? I want to be able to overclock and what not and I dont want bad memory.

xCarne_Asada said:
I am planning on getting a stick of 512mb pc150 at Cas 3. Does OCZ Tech have good memory? I want to be able to overclock and what not and I dont want bad memory.
They used to carry a lifetime warranty on thier memory, check & see if they still do. I bought mine from them...it turned out to be actuall Micron DDR SDRAM ! -so I kept it.:)

The only OCZ I've had was DDR, I'm not sure about their SDR, but I can only assume it's the same standards. I had some OCZ PC3000 DDR Ram. They claimed it would run at 183MHz. It did indeed run at 183MHz, but it would only do it at the absolute lowest Ram timings on my 8KHA+. When set on the high timings, it wouldn't even do 150. I have some Crucial PC2100, and it would do 160MHz with the highest timings. The Crucial @ 160MHz with the high timings killed the OCZ @ 183MHz with the lower timings. I have since bought some Kingmax PC2700 5ns. I hear it is a MUCH better overclocker, but I haven't received it yet. I think it will be because it contains true 5ns chips, whereas the OCZ had 7.5ns chips that were just overclocked. All in all, I definately would not recommend this Ram to anyone.

herbal'|' said:
The only OCZ I've had was DDR, I'm not sure about their SDR, but I can only assume it's the same standards. I had some OCZ PC3000 DDR Ram. They claimed it would run at 183MHz. It did indeed run at 183MHz, but it would only do it at the absolute lowest Ram timings on my 8KHA+. When set on the high timings, it wouldn't even do 150. I have some Crucial PC2100, and it would do 160MHz with the highest timings. The Crucial @ 160MHz with the high timings killed the OCZ @ 183MHz with the lower timings. I have since bought some Kingmax PC2700 5ns. I hear it is a MUCH better overclocker, but I haven't received it yet. I think it will be because it contains true 5ns chips, whereas the OCZ had 7.5ns chips that were just overclocked. All in all, I definately would not recommend this Ram to anyone.

Hey Herbal. I was gonna post a question about memory timings. Mine are default right now. I'm not sure how to begin to tweak them for performance or what all the different settings mean. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

hello balbert908, it depends on your board whether or not you can. Which board do you have? In most BIOS's there are options for the ram. They are usually something like "Normal", "Fast", "Turbo", etc. You can also adjust them manually, but the presets are safer and usually turbo will give you the fastest results. The difference in performance is obviously large since RAM at 160MHz at turbo can outperform RAM at 183MHz at normal.

My setup is below. The settings I see in the bios gives me different numbers to select on like 5 lines. I have no idea what to chose for them.

Yeah, I looked right over your sig, sorry. I haven't worked with a 8K7A before, but I would assume it is very similar to my 8KHA+. To change my settings, I go under "Advanced Chipset Features" in the BIOS, then it's under "DRAM Clock/Drive Control". Yours should be something very similar. The actual setting to change in my system is called "System Performance" and by default it is set to "Normal". Try looking for some of those things, or something like them. If you are still having trouble finding it later on, I'll d/l the 8K7A manual and take a look.

generally, lower is faster with the ram timings. beware, if ur ram cant handle it u will become unstable

herbal'|' said:
Yeah, I looked right over your sig, sorry. I haven't worked with a 8K7A before, but I would assume it is very similar to my 8KHA+. To change my settings, I go under "Advanced Chipset Features" in the BIOS, then it's under "DRAM Clock/Drive Control". Yours should be something very similar. The actual setting to change in my system is called "System Performance" and by default it is set to "Normal". Try looking for some of those things, or something like them. If you are still having trouble finding it later on, I'll d/l the 8K7A manual and take a look.

Yup. Exactly where they are. But I don't have settings like "normal" and "turbo" just a bunch of number choices. (which by the way are different on every line) I'll try just setting it to the highest on each line to see what happens. I actually thing I already tried that and it was fine. Just wasn't sure if it was the right approach. Thanks for your help.

On the EPOX 8K7A, the RAM timings can be changed in the Advanced Chipset Features menu. The first line in this menu is the System Performance option. On this line, you can select Normal or Fast. Further down this screen, you can also change the RAM timing from Auto to Manual if you would like to tweak beyond the given 2 settings.

:)

Back