• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Gigabyte GA-P35-DS3L Cold Boot Problem

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

MugenNugen

Registered
Built a new computer for the girlfriend. P35-DS3L, E8400, Corsair 620HX, G Skill 4gb ram.

Have an annoying problem. Everything is running at stock settings. From a cold boot (left over an hour or so) I have to hit the power button like 4 times before it actually starts. On tries 1-3, it kicks on for 2 seconds and kicks off. Then it'll finally kick on and stay on.

Anyone know what the problem is or if there is a bios setting I'm missing?

I'm running F8a bios on a rev. 2.0 board btw.

Somone help, so I can give this comp to her and work on my own!

might just be the bios on that board.... not really a setting, i dunno if that is the newest one or not. i would check out the site and forums for a beta one,if that is the newest one.

U tried just leaving it cos mine turns on for a second, then off, then on, n works fine from then on sometimes.

yeah i tried leaving it just now. pushed the button, on for 2 seconds and them off again. waited like 20 seconds and nothing. hit the button and it's good.

Your board is probably disabling the use of CPU host frequency setting to allow it to boot. I have a ds3 and this setting in the MB Intelligent Tweaker(M.I.T) menu of the CMOS gets disabled when it can't boot properly.

ya my board does this when there is a bad setting in the bios. I believe they call it a "virtual" second bios as opposed to Abit's (i think its abit) actual second bios.

It turns on long enough to clear the bios then shuts down and the next time you power it up it should have reset to defaults

This seems to be a common problem with Gigabyte boards including my 965p-ds3. It used to OC but noww it just resets until it gets to stock settings. I wished I knew what it is. I Won't be buying another Gigabyte if this isn't resolved somehow. I know some people have complained to Gigabyte about this but no satisfactory response.

It's strange how this problem has surfaced so quickly. I have been having this problem for a few weeks now and I spent a good 6 hours a day searching the net for answers and haven't found a single person with the same issue as me until today. Now there are at least four people in this forum alone that are having this problem. I wonder if it has something to do with the new BIOS or something. :confused:

This is funny because my GA-965P-DS3 dosent have cold boot problems. Useing the F11 bios i had hot boot problems "when running oc'ed" if i turned off my pc then turned it back on it wouldent start untill the setting were reverted and re overclocked. But the new beta bios for 65nm support fixed this hot boot problem and i havent seen it since the bios update.

Now my KBNF had cold boot problems. Running my oc'ed X2 i would have to turn it on. Turn it back off and then turn it back on and she would work perfect. However the updated bios on this mobo never fixed it and i sold it a long time ago.

I would e mail gigabyte and see if they have a beta bios for ya to fix this problem.

smoorman. Pm me with what bios your running and what revision mobo your running. im useinf the F13O for the revision 2.0 on my 2.0 and it fixed all my issues and runs very smooth.

Make sure EIST setting is disabled and also check the Smart Q Fan settings either set to PWM or Voltage

In the Health Status settings in Bios CPU Smart Fan, Also have a look at the Motherboard PDF manual page 46

I have the GA-965-ds3 I did not have a problem until I went from an e4300 to an e8400 processor. I had to upgrade bios from f11 to beta f13o. I don't know if it is the e8400 or the new bios, but it definitely has a cold boot problem now. It doesn't matter how much I overclock it. I was able to get it to 9.5X422 FSB = 4GHz passing hours of Orthos test. Frustrating! It seems like when they put out new Bios's that old problems show up again? Any DS3 people out there with this problem. Please post processor and BIOS version. I think it is one or the other that is my problem.

Having this problem with a p35-DQ6 today. All of a sudden, decides is wants to power cycle over and over and over but never posts. I've had nothing but problems with this gigabyte rubbish since I've had it. I'll never buy anything from them again.

I'm knocking on wood, as I have had no probs with my P35C DS3R (except that games keep kiking me out to the desktop)....It would seem that the transition to 65nm cpu's is a little bumpy on some of these older boards..I would think a bios update should fix it though. look at their site for an update that states added support for 65 or 45nm proc's.
Could be a limitation of the Nvidia chipset also...It is an Nvidia chipset right?
Have you tried reducing the cpu core volts? Just a thought.
Good luck,
Doc

i solved the problem by packing the board up and shipping it back haha. the build was for my gf's computer. i ended up putting my abit ix38 quad gt in her's and getting me an asus maximus formula, both of which didnt have a single hiccup with the e8400.

the ds3L must have had a problem with e8400's or something, because i could put my roommates p4 3.0 ghz in and it would boot up no problems at all. then i'd swap to the e8400 and i got the symptoms again.

Boot problem when OC'd

I just reset bios to 2 revs back. Was at F130 am now at
F110. Seems to have fixed the problem for now. I am running the E4300 at 3.0 and it seems to reboot OK. It appears as the the newer bios veresion might be the culprit. I'll report back after a day or so. I may also install my 6300 chip and see how it behaves.

That must be a bug with the new bios and the E8400 proc in the DS3L. I'm running a G0 Q6600 in my DS3L with the F8a bios with no problems. And before I dropped the Q6600 in it, I was running an E6750 with no problems too. The only funny thing I had happen was that after the upgrade and trying to overclock too far, I had problems with it booting at any overclocked speed, no matter what I set in bios. But clearing the cmos cured that problem and it's running my Q6600 at 3510 with no problems.

Back