• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

What's the best fans?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Dak9767

I purchased a MCR320 QP to replace my Blackice Pro 120.2. Will the rad yield better performance with low or medium power fans and what fans do you recommend?

The MCR rads don't require high cfms to work well. They are optimized for lower cfms. The reigning favorite are the yate loon D12SL-12 fans for lower speed, or D12SM-12 for medium speed. Jab-tech has them for only $3.50, and they are awfully hard to beat for the price/performance they offer.

If you really want more detailed info, take a look at the fans review over at XS- http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=171661

If you're looking for quiet fans I would recommend the Scythe S-Flex "E" or "F", depending on the CFMs. "E"'s run ~49 CFM and are quiet, the "F"'s run ~63 and are a hair noisy - about like an HDD. For the MCR320 the "E"'s should do nicely. They're not cheap, though - $15-20 each depending on where you get them ... :)

If you're looking for quiet fans I would recommend the Scythe S-Flex "E" or "F", depending on the CFMs. "E"'s run ~49 CFM and are quiet, the "F"'s run ~63 and are a hair noisy - about like an HDD. For the MCR320 the "E"'s should do nicely. They're not cheap, though - $15-20 each depending on where you get them ... :)

If you are going to spend $15-$20 ea on fans, you may as well get the best fans on the market, namely the Noctua NF-P12. The S-Flex fans perform on par with the yates, however they tend to last longer, especially when used mounted horizontally due to the ball bearing vs the sleeve bearing of the Yates.

If you are going to spend $15-$20 ea on fans, you may as well get the best fans on the market, namely the Noctua NF-P12. The S-Flex fans perform on par with the yates, however they tend to last longer, especially when used mounted horizontally due to the ball bearing vs the sleeve bearing of the Yates.
:confused:

S-Flex use fluid-dynamic bearings (150,000 MTBF compared to 15-20k for average ball bearings).
I've got some that are almost 2 years old with no extra noise, even in my dirty environment (smoke) ... ;)

:confused:

S-Flex use fluid-dynamic bearings (150,000 MTBF compared to 15-20k for average ball bearings).
I've got some that are almost 2 years old with no extra noise, even in my dirty environment (smoke) ... ;)

I stand corrected- fluid dynamic bearing, not ball bearing. The Scythes are good fans, its just to me if you are going to spend $15 ea, you may as well spend $20 and get the best there is.

i got 3 F scythe and scythe kaze master fan controller it is super sexy!!!! i love them. but i would listen to voigts, if i read this before getting scythes might of done what he recommended.

Picture001-1.jpg

edit: max rpm these fans are still quiet... love em.

Last edited:
Thanks guy's for the info. $15-20 a fan sound a bit pricey to me. I think I'll go with the yates fans.
I don't blame you in the least - just pointing out other options.

If I had only one computer in a room I'd go with the Yates, too.
But once you're up to 3 or 4 every little bit of sound you can get rid of helps. ;)
I stand corrected- fluid dynamic bearing, not ball bearing. The Scythes are good fans, its just to me if you are going to spend $15 ea, you may as well spend $20 and get the best there is.
Actually I looked at Noctua the last time I bought fans but they didn't push enough air for me. The best I could find was the NF-P12 you mentioned but it's only 54 CFM. I decided to take a chance on SilentX fans, 120x38mm 90 CFM @ 19db - also with fluid dynamic bearings like the S-Flex and Noctua. We'll see how well they hold up ...

Last edited:
Actually I looked at Noctua the last time I bought fans but they didn't push enough air for me. The best I could find was the NF-P12 you mentioned but it's only 54 CFM. I decided to take a chance on SilentX fans, 120x38mm 90 CFM @ 19db - also with fluid dynamic bearings like the S-Flex and Noctua. We'll see how well they hold up ...

I really think that those SilenX fans are not rated accurately at all. I forget the thread on XS I read a while back on that, but there was a long discussion on who actually manufactures those fans, and that the rating is nowhere near accurate for the db-cfms. Their ratings are so out of line with everything else on the market that I really doubt their numbers.

I am so far very impressed by what I see with the Noctua NF-P12 fans, but don't have the money to go and replace 8 fans at $20 each. This poor man is going to have to stick with yates for the foreseeable future. 54cfms is fine for me however as MCR rads really don't need more airflow than that anyway to perform well.

I really think that those SilenX fans are not rated accurately at all. I forget the thread on XS I read a while back on that, but there was a long discussion on who actually manufactures those fans, and that the rating is nowhere near accurate for the db-cfms. Their ratings are so out of line with everything else on the market that I really doubt their numbers.

I am so far very impressed by what I see with the Noctua NF-P12 fans, but don't have the money to go and replace 8 fans at $20 each. This poor man is going to have to stick with yates for the foreseeable future. 54cfms is fine for me however as MCR rads really don't need more airflow than that anyway to perform well.
The CFMs part of what I'll be looking at. I know about what they should feel like since I've got a pair of monster Delta's pulling 140 CFM. ;)

I can say the SilentX is very quiet but I didn't run it long enough to comment on the apparent CFM. There's something wrong with the build, I've got power but it won't boot and no beeps. My nephew helped me put it in a case last weekend (a little "home schooling") but I must have missed checking something since it was running fine for 2 months on my computer table. :-/ I'll figure it out Saturday ...

Back