• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Overclocking with x38-ds4 / E8400

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Coreyhm1

Ok, im new to these intel bios coming from amd.

I got up to 3.5ghz on stock voltage but orthos failed (figured it would)

I have the ram divider to 1:1 and everything that involved downclocking the cpu is disabled, manually set the PCIe to 100 (it might lock it on auto anyway :confused:), i tried 400x9 up to 1.28v (set in bios) and it wouldn't hardly make it into windows. Is there some weird setting im missing, i wouldn't think it would be that unstable at 1.28v @ 3.6ghz :-/

Ram settings are at 5-5-5-15 @ 2t (stock) @ 2.0v

Also, its hard to check temps in windows, but it looks like bios is reading it correct (~24*c idle)

Help a intel noob please! :)

Lock memory multiplier at or below rated memory speed.
Try disabling C1E and see what happens, it may work or not, it has interesting effect on my board though p35 ds3r
What are your load temps?

Lock memory multiplier at or below rated memory speed.
Try disabling C1E and see what happens, it may work or not, it has interesting effect on my board though p35 ds3r
What are your load temps?

Memory multi, i set to 1:1, 400fsb will be 400mhz (DDR2 800) stock speed. right?

I have C1E disabled and the others, can't be for sure on the load temps because of the way these 8400's are acting. But coretemp gives me ~50*c on load :confused:

I'm off to bed, ill be at it again in the morning.. so this thread better not die :mad: :p

Memory multi, i set to 1:1, 400fsb will be 400mhz (DDR2 800) stock speed. right?

I have C1E disabled and the others, can't be for sure on the load temps because of the way these 8400's are acting. But coretemp gives me ~50*c on load :confused:

I'm off to bed, ill be at it again in the morning.. so this thread better not die :mad: :p

50*c on load ... not bad ... for what i know with my set up i need to push the vcoore up to 1.42 to run at 450 fsb ... and increased all north, south bridge, cpu vtt and vdimm ... a bit more then the auto set up into the bios so ... orthos stable for more then 24 hours :beer: ... load temp at 54 :mad:... idle arround 31-34
btw : memory multy at 1:1.20 so set at 1080 ...

doont forget with gigabyte you need to show the advenced features inthe bios by hitting ctrl and f1 key ...

If you do not find the settings you want in the Main Menu or a submenu, press <Ctrl>+<F1>
to access more advanced options.

and see these pics from my set up ... pic from everest

try.png

Important to set Performance Enhance to DISABLED, if this is set to Turbo overclocking is more or less impossible.

Thanks i'll go try those now. I didn't think about the performane enhance, thats probably the problem. If i remember right there is no "disable", only "standard". I may be wrong though.

The VID in the gigabyte monitor is 1.22 and in bios it says the stock is 1.22. But in the monitor is says vcore 1.18-1.2 and in cpuz it says the same thing. So if i set it to 1.28v in bios would that means its actually ~1.24v?

I'm in the same situation coming from amd and trying to oc my new x38 ds4 q6600 rig. I've only been able to get a very modest oc to stick. Does anyone know what the letters a,b,c,d with the memory dividers mean??

Maybe someone could post a quick rundown of the basic bios settings that must be changed to get a decent oc, I've done basically the same as corey but I just feel like I'm missing something.

gigabyte x38 ds4
q6600 go
4gig adata 2x2
evga 8800gt

Did some more tinkering and I got her going :)

I was previously trying to use "in between" fsb's... when i used standard 266, 333...etc , with the corresponding mem divider/letter...bingo!

still testing it, but yesterday was @ 9x333, 3.0...

just got home and bumped it up to 8x400, 3.2...stable so far!

will probly see if she'll go any higher, but I think this is the point I will run with for now at least...pretty pleased with it, only had to bump up vcore a couple notches left all the other voltages normal...

I am curious as to what I need to change in order to get mine ocing. Mine just resets it when I save and exit (the computer restarts twice and resets bios, does not even post even when i bump it 1 FSB...).

I am curious as to what I need to change in order to get mine ocing. Mine just resets it when I save and exit (the computer restarts twice and resets bios, does not even post even when i bump it 1 FSB...).

Something isn't right there with your mobo. I could move my clock to 9X400mhz with the E8400 and all the auto enhancement stuff either disabled or set to "standard" and mine runs rock solid. I would try setting all that stuff "CIA2" and other "enhancement" stuff to disable and just manually adjust the clock. You should be able to go 50-100 on the stock setup before you start seeing restarts and stuff like that.

Also, check the voltages for you memory. I had to give mine a +0.05 boost because the stock voltage was set to a pitiful 1.85v

looks like there was a problem with the bios that came with the board. Flashed a new one and now up to 4.3 on my e8400. Go figure

Hey, I just registered here to find some help. I bought X38 DS4 and E8400 in order to achieve some good OC. Problem is, that every setting I change in BIOS, does not save. Well..thats not the right description, I set FSB, voltages, all those features off (EIST, C1E,Thermal thing), F10 to save to cmos and reboot and instead of just reset nad running continuously, mobo turns off and on. After this the clock of CPU is still on stock, while voltages, timings and other settings are as I did set them. When I enter the bios, I see the settings I picked there, but no change. Every change in bios makes mobo turn off and on instead of quick reboot. Using F3 bios....

Back