• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

New toy : 40mm 6.4A 95W Thermoelectric Cooler TEC Peltier...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

stdu007

So like the title say ... i just buy a 40mm 6.4A 95W Thermoelectric Cooler TEC Peltier ... to cool my cpu ... just a bit more ... so what are you guy's thinking about that ...

TEC plate with a 4 pins molex conector
yoyoy020.jpg

cold plate from Koolance
spc-cp775k_01.jpg

what it's look like when i put together ...
Projet1.png

Um...if it is a modern CPU, it probably isn't going to work. You need more wattage in the TEC than the CPU is rated for. I don't remember the formula for sure, but I think you need about twice the CPU's wattage. The Athlon 64 chip I cooled with a TEC put out about 90 watts and I had a 226W peltier on it, and it kept it about 10°C. If you put that on a CPU that runs more than 40 watts, it will heat up, fail and then turn into an insulator. The chips today that have thermal shutdowns might survive. I think the 176W chips were about as small as you would want to deal with on an Athlon XP chip.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CPU_power_dissipation

Do you need a special heat sink to accommodate the TEC? How does that work?

With current CPUs, you need watercooling on it, and a good radiator to dump the heat. In addition to the heat from the CPU, you have the heat from the Peltier as well. Figure a 100 W CPU and a 226 W peltier, you've got aobut 300 + watts of heat to get rid of.

i will test it and let you know guy's ... a 140 watts is on the way to ... so i'm gonna test both an post some pic later ... next week ... don t have the cold plate right now ...

With current CPUs, you need watercooling on it, and a good radiator to dump the heat. In addition to the heat from the CPU, you have the heat from the Peltier as well. Figure a 100 W CPU and a 226 W peltier, you've got aobut 300 + watts of heat to get rid of.

But I thought the TEC was cooling the CPU, and all you needed was to get rid of the heat with what ever you wanted. Since the heat is not directed to the CPU, it was cake.

But I thought the TEC was cooling the CPU, and all you needed was to get rid of the heat with what ever you wanted. Since the heat is not directed to the CPU, it was cake.

^^^ What stdu007 said.

Heat is has to somewhere. Ordinary heatsink fans can deal with moving a little over 100 watts of heat continuously. Putting a peltier in there tripples the heat you are producing, and the heatsink can't move it away from your CPU fast enough.

The TEC give you a temperature difference, because it moves the heat from one side to the other, but it doesn't get rid of it. And it isn't all that efficient, and as a result the TEC uses a lot of energy itself, which is lost as heat. If you don't have an efficient way of moving heat out of the area of the hot side, it builds up and overwhelms the TEC's ability to move heat. As it warms up, it gets less and less efficient in moving heat. The temperature difference drops too at this point (it also drops if you get it too cold, which is why it doesn't work well with phase change). Think if it as spraying water (heat) into a pit in the ground. If you you a drain for it, it never fills all the way up. If you have too small of a drain, the pit fills up as the inflow is greater than the outflow. Eventually the water level rises to the hose you are using and covers it. At that point, the pelter pretty much stops working.

Water is more efficient at transferring heat than air is, so you can pipe the heat away from your waterblock much faster than it can dissapate in the air. Then it uses a large surface area radiator to dump the heat into the air.

Whoops...sorry. Didn't mean to ramble.

so here come first result with my 95 watts TEC with my water cooling loop ...

before i put the TEC cooler (core temp result)

ct.png

after i put the TEC cooler (core temp result)

tectry1.png

will do this week end ... i just want to be present and watch temp ... i will post some pic's for shure ...

just play some game last night ... and load temp after i played just drop from about 10 c ... so before tec 55-57 ... and now 44-47 ... the only bad point is the gpu raised temp ... the water in the loop is a bit hoter ... so 34 c instead of 31 c (idle)

I have a 168 watt pelt that may suit your needs better, PM me if your interested and I can post it in the classifieds.

i just buy one on ebay ... 170 watts ... 50mmx50mm ... so thank's ... btw how much with shipping i'm from canada ... just pm me with this info ...

Back