• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

GA-X38-DQ6 vs 780i - Please help

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

NobodyNowhere

Registered
Hello, in last 4 days i have spent almost £1950 (~4000usd) ordering all parts of my new PC .. however the only thing which is left is the motherboard ( and ram as it depends which mobo i go with ) and i cannot make my mind up .. the card i have ordered is a GTX 768MB and %95 i will not be using SLI or anything .. if at anytime i feel the video card is not enough for me i will sell it and get a ultra or something like that .. even tho with this card i will be fine for a while ... Now ignoring the SLI ... which one of this boards do overclock better? The good thing about the Nfore 780i is it supports DDR2 1200mhz which then i will be using Kingston Hyperx 1200mhz rams however the Gigavyte only supports 1066 mhz ram which means i will have to change the ram ..

eVGA NVIDIA nForce 780i vs GA-X38-DQ6

Or please recommend me a good motherboard which supports a high DDR2 memory and good OC features, Also i can spend upto 200pounds (400usd) on it ...

Edit : Also Maximus Formula (Special Edition) looks good .. cant really choose between this 3..

I will appreciate any replies,
Thank you

Specs of the ordered PC:

Intel Quad Core QX9650
HYPERX 4GB 1200MHZ DDR2 ( not ordered yet )
MSI GEFORCE 8800 GTX OC 768MB 8800GTX
Corsair TX 750W
Antec Nine Hundred
(3) 150GB Raptor 10k
(1) 500GB Sata2 32mb cache
alman CNPS9500A-LED Aero
Hyundai W240D 24" Full HD TFT Widescreen 1920x1200 3000:1 400cd/m2 2ms VGA/DVI/HDMI

Last edited:
Maximus Formula but you may need a bios update for that quad
Rich

Hi Rich,

Thanks for the reply .. Yeah that motherboard looks really good to me too .. all the features and stuff ... As for the bios update i have a old core 2 duo cpu ( in a other rig and also a pentium D cpu ) which i can use to do the bios update so its fine ..

What ram would you recommend for that motherboard?

Once again, Thank you

any ram rated at DDR2-1066,will be fine. i dont see you needing or going over 500mhz though...

Hopefully in another week or so I will be able to post up my experiences with the X38-DQ6 and a Q6600 if that will help you out, NobodyNowhere. I'm presently on a drilling rig offshore in the Gulf of Mexico but my hitch will be up in another week and I plan to upgrade my main rig with that board. I'll be running either some G. Skill HZ DDR2-800 or Ballistix DDR2-667 in it for ram. Both use the Micron D9GMH chips and overclock pretty high. The upgrade is top priority when I get in, since I have had the board since Christmas. The only thing I've had time to do so far was to boot the board up with a Celly in it to make sure it worked.

Back