• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

q6600 overpowering loop

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

schumi

I have a MCR320,fuzion water block 1/2 tubing only going to the cpu gpu pump and MCR320.

Temps are rising while playing cod4 to shutdown on the log with coretemp I saw 127c on 2 cores and 120c on the other 2 OMG hot,but it rose over 4 hrs slowly. I had a slight overclock of 3.2 gigs at 1.45 v and it was not over 68 in the room. I have put it at stock till I figure out whats going on. Running prime95 for and 2 hrs the temps only got to 45c with 1 error. any help would be great. Thanks

Post a picture of your setup and loop. Also you may want to remount, using the proper method outlined by your TIM manufacturer (Diamond=Pea Size, AS5=perpendicular line to the black sticker on the CPU).

Also what are your voltages reading with a DMM with the system fully loaded with FUR benchmark or ORTHOS?

As you say it rose over 4 hours slowly, I'm going to assume your pump killed itself and the loop heated up because of that.

But maybe it didn't as you said the temps were fine after... :confused:

Pics and more details (as asked for above) would be great :)

I will try to remount latter today. I assume the pump is fine as right now under no load my temps are 30 to 28c on 4 cores. I reset the volts to default. is it passable to have so much heat that you overwhelm you water loop? could that be what happened. and I will get the pix up tomorrow. thanks guys.

Are you using the Orthos that loads all 4 cores? Man that's odd. A game pushing a rad farther than Orthos. Wait... Your GPU is in the loop? It's your GPU/CPU pulling to many watts for your loop. Just Orthos isn't going to fully stress your water loop, in game your maxxing your GPU too. Something is wrong with your loop. If the temps went sky high in the first 30 min then it's a CPU or HS mounting problem. Whats your GPU core temps at? You can run Orthos and ATITool 3D view at the same time.

What fans are ya running? Gotta be the loop not able to handle the heat.

No Im running prime95 to test the cores and your right the gpu is in loop. I have 3 yate loon fans pulling air out the top of the 320. I am starting to get an Idea on why this happing. I believe it is the 780i nb cooler blowing hot air on to the backside of the gpu.

There is absolutely no way that you will overload that radiator with enough heat to make the CPU reach >100C with only a Q6600 and a GPU. You have an issue somewhere.

Also, at stock you should have absolutely no errors on P95.

^^ Agreed.

Something either restricted flow, or your fans shut off.

Check you pump, make sure you don't have a short on it's power lead (I had that happen on my D4). Wiggle the power lead aorund see if the pump goes on and off. Do the same thing for your fans.

If you can't find a short, I would suggest draining yo uloops, and cleaning your components, you might have a blockage somewhere.

No Im running prime95 to test the cores and your right the gpu is in loop. I have 3 yate loon fans pulling air out the top of the 320. I am starting to get an Idea on why this happing. I believe it is the 780i nb cooler blowing hot air on to the backside of the gpu.
You have us all guessing here. As others have asked, how about a pickie or a diagram of your setup.
Include the CFM ratings of those yates and the rest of your case fans. Include air flow directions. Don't forget the PSU fan(s). Include loop routing/blocks. Help us to help you!

thanks guys i will post pix this weekend and see if we can clear this up..

Thanks guys for all the advice It ended up being that the water block was not seated properly. I had to reset it 3 times. now temps are perfect.

Back