• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Ultra Product's Warranty Service

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Captain Helghas

I returned to work after my dinner break last night to find the Ultra V Series 400W PSU just stopped. After a few tests, I realized I needed an RMA. No problem, since Ultra has a lifetime warranty, right? Well... somewhat right.

According to their website the psu has a 3 year warranty, unless you have registered it, then it has the lifetime warranty. You can only register it if you have the original invoice or receipt. If you bought it NIB from OCF you're stuck with the 3 year warranty.

No problem there. This PSU was purchased circa Sept 2006 so it's still under warranty. Well, let's see what Ultra's RMA dept has to say about that.

email to/from Ultra Products said:
Ultra products,
My ultra V series 400W ATX switching power supply ceased working this evening.
I was not around when it happened. I have tested the PSU with a PSU tester that
shorts pins 14 and 15 on the ATX connector and the PSU fan did not come on.
Using a digital multimeter, neither the 12V rail nor the 5V rail had any current
through it. The PSU was connected to a 1500W surge protector whose fuse had not
blown. No other hardware is malfunctioning.
This ULT-400P was purchased new in box off of OCForums.comon Sept 13th, 2006.
I do not have an invoice for it and I don't know if I have a method of getting
one for it. According to the box it has a limited lifetime warranty.

As a side note, I have heard nothing but good things about your warranty
policies. I was thinking of starting a thread at OCForums describing my
experience with this RMA, as I have done with previous companies. I figured I'd
mention it if you wanted the link.
Brad VanMiddlesworth

Ultra Products wrote:
Brad,

Thank you for contacting Ultra Technical Support.

Unfortunately, we will not be able to replace your power supply for you as you
purchased your power supply from an Internet forum, and not from an Ultra
reseller, such as Tiger Direct. The warranty does not transfer from an end-user
who sells our products to the subsequent purchaser.

I apologize for any inconvenience this may cause you.

Thank you for contacting us. If you have any further inquiries please reply
to this email.

Sincerely,
Keith
Ultra Products Tech. Support

Can the original owner get an RMA request? I could ask them to do so for
me, and I'm sure they wouldn't mind.

By the way, I do not see anywhere on your website that states the
warranty does not transfer.
Thanks for your time.
Brad
Dear Brad,

That would be fine

Thank you for contacting us. If you have any further inquiries please reply to
this email.

Sincerely,
jan

I contacted the original purchaser. He told me that he has the original invoice
and doesn't mind taking care of this with me. He should be emailing you shortly.
The case number of #XXXX-XXXXXXXX-XXXX will be included in his email.

Here is the link to the thread on OCForums regarding this case.
http://www.ocforums.com/showthread.php?t=547217

Since I mentioned it before I figured it was only courteous to share it with
you.
Brad
Thanks Brad--

Have your purchaser call us at 888-222-5487

this email.

Sincerely,
jan

Luckily, Nathan0490 is a stand-up guy and doesn't mind taking care of this with me. +1 for OCF. As an additional note, it DOES specifically say on the first line in the warranty info that only the original purchaser is under warranty. I am curious as to what would happen if you gave someone a PSU for Christmas...

I have to say, I am not happy with this thusfar. I have had better luck with Asus and iRobot in the past.

Brad--

No. If it was a Christmas gift we would support it without an invoice.

this email.

Sincerely,
jan

Hmm...

So I call the number above there and pose as if it was a Christmas gift. No dice. They will not issue an RMA number without a receipt. In that event you would have to have the person who gifted it to you to get the receipt for you. Sigh...

Last edited:
get on their forums and see if you can get ahold of ultra-john, he helped me when my ebay purchased ultra x-connect was malfunctioning. I had no invoice and it was ebay bought(which in their policy isn't covered)

Haha, why would you buy an Ultra in the first place?
Price really. It was the cheapest I could find in the classifieds at the time.

So the new news with Nathan calling is that they will require his credit card to purchase a new unit to be shipped to his address. So now I will have to pay for shipping to me from Ultra and the old one back to Ultra. For a PSU that Nathan originally got for free.

Sigh...

I'm not sure what the hell to do at this point. I can't buy a new one (new baby and all) and replacing this one will be as much as buying a new one. Some ****ing warranty.

get on their forums and see if you can get ahold of ultra-john, he helped me when my ebay purchased ultra x-connect was malfunctioning. I had no invoice and it was ebay bought(which in their policy isn't covered)

Would you mind trying to get him in touch with Captain H.? It would be much appreciated. :beer:

agree they suck

I made the mistake of buying one of their PSU's back in 2006, I bought the Ultra Xfinity 600w mainly for the warranty and registered it next day, now here in 2009 said power suppy dies. I email them for warranty support, get an email back to call them, so I buy a phone, call them, and they tell me that since I bought it from Frys Electronics (who is listed on Ultra's products as official retailer) and not from one of their "sister" companies that my only option is to buy a brand new model (they dont carry mine anymore) and then send in the old one after the new one arrives and if they deem it under warranty they will reimburse me for the new one (which has a 3 day return policy),,, I dont own a credit card hence why I bought it from a retail store, talked to a supervisor who told me thats how their whole warranty system works,, :bang head:bang head:bang head im done with Ultra I just bought a Corsair 850

Last edited:
Ultra's Warranty sucks! I purchased an Ultra ChillTec from TigerDirect on 3/4/08 (and I HAVE the invoice to prove it). They say that they have a 3 year Warranty BUT do not be fooled!!!!!!!!!! It is acutally only 1 year. I have a unit that the fan does not start...called them to replace it and lo and behold they tell me that I did not "register" the unit so it is only 1 year not 3. That is crap. If they stood by their product there would be no caveat!! You either warranty it or not... no crap about registration. Save your money guys don't buy from Ultra!!!

PS check post date. Last post was 19 months ago.

You're supposed to register within a month to get 3 years warranty. Many don't see that very fine print and get stuck with 1 year warranty. A bit dishonest as it's not very clear you absolutely need to register. Also as mentioned in other posts, the warranty don't transfer from original purchaser and only counts if you bought from qualifying retailers. Not from ebay or other sources.

Their product is mostly fine but there are better product if you're willing to spend a bit more money.

Back