• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

useing extra memory to increase speed?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Dissolved

i have 768mb of ddr, and ive heard you can change something to use more of it to increse system speed....? it had something to do with virutal hhd space or something.. any one know? the most ive ever used is about 300mb...
thanks

You mean virtual memory? Thats just when you dont have enough memory for programs or apps running on your computer, so your harddrive sets a temporary amount that it controls, so the programs and apps can be run better. So if you need 800mb of memory, and you only have 768, your harddrive will compensate that 32mb of memory.

yea... but isnt there a way i could use my extra memory to speed my system up? ive heard if u have too much extra it would slow your system down a lil..

Dissolved said:
yea... but isnt there a way i could use my extra memory to speed my system up? ive heard if u have too much extra it would slow your system down a lil..

What OS? If it is Win9x then you are wasting time with that much memory. If it is 2000 or XP you can turn virtual memory off and increase performance.

TranceBear said:

What OS? If it is Win9x then you are wasting time with that much memory. If it is 2000 or XP you can turn virtual memory off and increase performance.

2k pro sp2... where do i turn it off?

REGEDIT4

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\FileSystem]
"NtfsDisableLastAccessUpdate"=dword:00000001
"NtfsDisable8dot3NameCreation"=dword:00000001
"NTfsMftZoneReservation"=dword:00000002
"ContigFileAllocSize"=dword:00000200

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager\Memory Management]
"DisablePagingExecutive"=dword:00000001

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Serial]
"RxFIFO"=dword:00000010
"TxFIFO"=dword:00000010

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\NetBT\Parameters]
"CacheTimeout"=dword:000dbba0
"BcastQueryTimeout"=dword:000000fa

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\LanmanServer\Parameters]
"AutoDisconnect"=dword:00000002

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Browser\Parameters]
"MaintainServerList"="No"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\LanmanWorkstation\Parameters]
"MaxCmds"=dword:00000014
"MaxThreads"=dword:00000014

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\WOW]
"DefaultSeparateVDM"="yes"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager\SubSystems]
"Optional"=hex(7):00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control]
"WaitToKillServiceTimeout"="10000"

[HKEY_USERS\.DEFAULT\Control Panel\Desktop]
"AutoEndTasks"="1"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Print]
"ServerThreadTimeout"=dword:00072000
"SpoolerPriority"=dword:00000013

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\LanManServer]
"SizReqBuf"=dword:00001204

Back