• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

My return to watercooling... help

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

raist679

I've been lurking around here for a while and need some advice. I at one point was running a half inch loop with one of Cathar's original storm's and a VGA block. Then I got rid of it all and went back to air with a Thermalright 120 extreme. Now I'm sick of the fan noise and I miss water. I want to go back to water with the CPU only and I want to downsize to a 3/8" loop.
I have a e8400 sitting here on my desk screaming to be installed and overclocked. I just want to keep my load temps down even if I won't get exceptional results from a 3/8" loop. I know that I want to go with a Swifty 355 pump and T-line. Since I want to go small my great debate is whether to go with a Black ice GT 240 or a much wider Thermochill rad. I could also use a little coaxing to decide on a CPU block, but I think I know what I'll be picking up. I'm throwing his into a original CM Stacker by the way. I'll try to post some pictures when I'm done. Thanks for taking a look.

if you use the search function there are a few guides here (some technical and some summed up) which say that there is no appreciable difference between 1/2 and 3/8"

and the type/size of the rad is, like others will say, dependent on your heat calculations :) some other kind soul might even link you the site that has teh calculator that has been floating around

interested to see your pics

Thanks, I have already been through Cathar's post. That is what prompted me to build a 3/8" loop. I'm going for quiet and the radiator will have two panaflo low speed FMB 12G12L 120mm fans. I was just trying to determine how much rad I need and if it was worth it to spend more on the Thermochill.

I've been successfully running a 3/8" loop for years. As for a rad, I'd just get a MCR220-QP or better yet a MCR320-QP (if you have room). The reason for the 3X120mm rad is that eventually you'll want to upgrade to a quad core someday down the road.

Back