• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Mobo (ABIT ST6)? or Vid Card? Help!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

maap

Registered
Don't know if this belongs in the Mobo or vid section. I'm sure the mods will move it where it belongs.

The problem: When ever I overclock my vid card, it overclocks, runs fine but when it goes to standby and returns (wakes up) the vid card is reset to the default values. When I reboot it's overclocked to the values I set.

The Card: Gainward GF2 Pro/450 Golden sample.
The board: ABIT ST6 (i815ep chip set)

The history: I've had this card for quite a few months now. It ran fine in a SOYO sb 100+ mobo, and Aopen AX6BC Pro mobo (both bx chip sets) and in my current Athlon system. Never had this problem, with this card, in any of those mobos. I recently did two things. I upgraded to a ti200 and moved the Gainward to the Aopen, no problems. I upgraded the Aopen to the ABIT, figured it was time to move on from the BX chip set. The system runs completely stable whether the vid card is O/C'd or not.

What I think: I think it must be something to do with the mobo, specifically ACPI. I've never used the ACPI on any of my other systems but just let windows load it when I installed the ABIT. I've used coobits, nvmax, gtu and powerstrip to overclock and they all work until the system goes in to standby and they all have no effect when the system wakes up, the card is back to defaults. Reboot and the card is overclocked again. I've tried different Det vid drivers 7xx/12xx/21xx and 22xx, no change.

Anybody else seen this? Thoughts or recommendations?

System specs:
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
ABIT ST6(using st66a bios dated 12/17) / P3 cc0 700e@1001 (7x143) @ 1.8v @ 34c load / Alpha PAL 6035 / 256m Mushkin PC133 rev1.5 @ 222 / Gainward GF2 PRO/450 @ 245/470 / NEC Multisync 50 / (2) Fujitsu 13.6gig / Win98 SE
Win98 SE

It was definitely the mobo, specifically APCI. Apparently when the ST6 goes to stanby, it shuts the vid card down and when waking up it reads the vid card bios info instead of the registry and resets to the bios defaults. Thats why the reboot would fix it., It was then read from the registry at boot-up.

I fixed it by downloading Ray Adams Nvidia Bios Editor
http://www.x-bios.3dgames.ru/ and changed the default stock speeds to my desired O/C's speeds. Works like a champ. On boot-up I no longer have the screen shift as it changes modes/clock speeds and upon system wake up it now reads what I put in the bios.
:p

Back