• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Cooling with Liquid Mercurey?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

SkiBum1207

Ok so, THis thread is purely hypothetical and theroy, I am not and not planning on doing this but it is intrigueing...i know that health-wise its a ****ty idea but for the extra mhz....hahahah :rolleyes:

ok so heres the idea, create a water cooling system but instead of using water, use pure murcurey. water's conductivity is only 0.58 W/m K while mercury is 8.34W/m K! This would transfer the heat away muuuch better than water.
Just an idea....but having that much toxic metals next to at night doesnt exactly sound healthy but it has like a 16x better conductivity than water! It would be intresting to try...would there be any galvanic corrosion issues? I have no clue where Mercury fits on the galvanic scale but it may pose some problems...

Last edited:
It may work better but I think it may be illegal to posses that much mercury. It would be interesting to say the least!

I'm sure it would work, but it's very questionable how good it would be. Remember a typical loop uses a radiator to dissapate heat and in turn relies on moving air. That would be the real limiting factor. Mercury also likes to escape containment, basically the tubing would be like an aerator allowing it to permeate into the room. If you do this I'd get your IQ checked regularly as well as your motor control and reflexes ;)

Yeah i was wondering the same thing...i think its a more viscus substance so some pumps may have issues. atleast u wouldnt have to worry about growth in the tubing lol

Last edited:
You would have to have a speciality pump to move the fluid. The tubing would have to be likely something along the lines of stainless steel to avoid leaks. The block and Radiator would have to be custom designed for the purpose.

Would it work? Hell ya it would ok, but it's not something that 99.9% of the people reading this will be able to pull off.

I'm not even going to mention the HAZMAT nightmare this would be as that goes with out saying.

If anyone can do this and do it safely, I want to see pics.

the question is where u could even get that much mercury......thats aloottt of thermometers lol

I admit, it's a good idea, and it's possible. BUT It's amazingly unfesable, the cost of manufacturing the system to hold the mercury would be astronomical, let alone the price of the coolant in question it's self. Plus all of the other dangers would make this insanely cool to pull off!

You would use an electromagnetic pump to move it. No propeller driven pump would be able to even start.

It is a bad idea and very very high risks, not worth it at all. Phase/Dry ice/LN2 is a much better option. It is much much colder and much cheaper.

Back