• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

What happens : Pump dies & I'm not at home

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Catscratch

Heheh, silly title i know.

I want to know what would happen if the pump dies on a CPU+GPU loop and i'm not there to shut the pc off ?

That happened me once but it was only a GPU loop. The gpu was topped at 70c and i considered myself lucky.

-What would happen to the CPU in idle ? Far worse or would it stop somewhere safe ?
-And is there an application to shut the pc off when a certain RPM goes below a limit you set ?

Thanks in advance.

Your cpu will overheat and cause the temp to rise to like 100 c. if it gets dangerous though the pc will shut itself off immediatley.

im not sure if their is an app to change that..

If you have the MCP655 it has a RPM monitoring cable that you can use, you can set the bios to shutdown if that 'fan' (pump in this case) goes below xxxRPM.

I don't recall that option being in the bios. I have to check again thou. I had the infamous p400 of Thermaltake, it had the rpm cable. It died and I gave up on the Water Cooling until summer. Now that fear is the main reason why I'm reluctant to add CPU int my loop. That's dangerous :) Is there a big chance the cpu will fry before the mobo decides to go off ? I mean there was an option about the CPU max limit on AMD mobos but MSI doesn't have that for me. Maybe its a fixed value or changes with the cpu, it's not mentioned anywhere in the manual.

Last edited:
Yeah once your CPU reaches a certain temp it will automatically shut itself off. So you don't have much to worry about.

That's dangerous :) Is there a big chance the cpu will fry before the mobo decides to go off ?
Not at all, the CPU will shut itself down regardless if the motherboard has that option or not, it is built directly into the processor itself.

No, Water is an awesom eThermal Capacitor. Even if the water is not moving, it will soak up enough heat that the CPU won't heat up instantly, and the Comp will just shut itself down.

I had a short in My D4 power lead a whiel back, and had the pump shut off. I played WoW for another 10-15 minutes before I even noticed the computer slowing down.

Your core can shut itself down.
You can also have your motherboard shut down the machine when temps get to high(I know my old mobo did- have not bothered with my current one.)

Heh, that was the case with me too. I launched a game and saw the temp RivaTuner was showing me and freaked, it was 90c. 52c was the usual load temp. I closed the game and noticed the pump was dead. It was almost winter so I never cared for RMA. I RMAed the thing back in Jan and currently waiting for summer to build it up again. And I'm also searching for a better pump here, the decent ones you have access to are not available here :/

I think I can find eheim here, i'll try locating some. Here's an example.
http://www.eheim.de/eheim/inhalte/index.jsp?key=liniendetail_27591_ehen

Well, it will probably boil off some of the liquid in the system. Not to mention 100c is super hot... Not good for any chip regardless of its rated temperatures.

Well, it will probably boil off some of the liquid in the system. Not to mention 100c is super hot... Not good for any chip regardless of its rated temperatures.
It won't boil the water. The chip may be 100c, but the block and surrounding water will not be. It would have to be 120c+ for it to happen anywhere near quick.

I think the one I should find is the Eheim 1048, 600 l/h , hmax 1.5m
Or I'll try my chances with international shippin'. Customs is pain here, if it somehow gets blocked in customs, I'd pay 250 bucks just for the stupid process to retrieve it.

For about 4 months, I had the default pump in the Big Water 745 kit. P400 something, 400 l/h hmax 1.5m. It's looks exactly like one of dangerden's. A lot like this.
http://www.dangerden.com/store/product.php?productid=279&cat=23&page=1

I think the TT liquid got thicker so the pump had to work under stress. The liquid was darker but still transparent, no particles. Anyway I made my own coolant now, roughly 850 ml of distilled water + 127.5 ml of Anti-freeze + a few drops of algeacid.

Thanks for the replies, I really appreciate the details.

Back