• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Need to add a rad, which is best?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

SeanCurtis1983

Registered
Currently I'm running a FX-62 processor and a 8800 GTS vid card on a single 120MM rad with two fans in push-pull config. This was fine when I lived in a basement apartment where it was cool, but now with my new place the CPU/GPU run a little warmer than I'd like

What is the absolute best way to shed watts from the loop? I've see the bongs, but I want low overall maintenence, so it has to a closed system. I kind of like eccentric things, so some kind of crazy rad would be kind of fun.

What say you?

just get any 2x120 rad and you will be fine or get a 3x120 so you will be fine when you move up to a quad. or save $ and jsut add a heater core to your current loop =)

What parts are in your cooling loop now, other than the 120mm rad?
As is what Pump?
CPU block?
GPU block?

The reason I'm asking is, the more info you provide regarding your loop, the more concise and applicable the answers will be to your loop.
Also, are you looking for the best performance or quiet, or a combination of both?
With that being said, what Console said will greatly improve your temps as long as your case will allow good air flow through the rad.

Last edited:
What parts are in your cooling loop now, other than the 120mm rad?
As is what Pump?
CPU block?
GPU block?

The reason I'm asking is, the more info you provide regarding your loop, the more concise and applicable the answers will be to your loop.
Also, are you looking for the best performance or quiet, or a combination of both?
With that being said, what Console said will greatly improve your temps as long as your case will allow good air flow through the rad.

The pump is a Laing D5, the CPU block is a Apogee GT, and the GPU block is a Stealth. I'm running a Switchtech MicroRes in there too.

I'm looking more for performance, although, if I can do it without adding too many fans, that would be best. I was thinking something like a large passive heat exchanger.

The thermochill series of rads work great with quiet low CFM fans (e.g Yate Loon) but the MCR from swiftech will need more CFM to get near the performance of the Thermochill with lower CFM fans.

The "best" rad is probably the Thermochills. The best bang for the buck are probably the Swiftech Quiet Power series.

After much researching, I added a heater core from an 89 camaro. Temps are down almost 10C.

Thanks all for the advice!

Back