• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Specific Recommendations?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

HaGa11aZ

Registered
Hello,

I'm about to assemble a new rig for my friend, and the last item I have to pick out is the water-cooling system. It's an LGA775 type board with Intel C2D, two sticks Corsair, possibly two HD's (a Raptor and a generic)... WITH A FISH TANK FOR THE CLEAR SIDE PANEL.... ROFL!!!

anywayz, I'm wondering if any of you have recommendations for a solid, efficient, and "cool" kit. The GIGABYTE Galaxy II looks appealing to me so far.

What sorts of chemical-compound liquids are typically used in standard water-cooled systems?

My budget cap on this would probably be about $220.

Thanx!

I would stay away from a kit; you will get much better results out of getting individual components and building your own rig. This is very do-able with the amount of $ you want to spend.

The basic "coolant" is distilled water with some algaecide and some iodine; distilled water works the best.

The stickies at the beginning of the watercooling section offer a wealth of info regarding what components to get, how to set up, etc. :)

Stay away from all these fancy coolants, just a total waste of money IMHO. Straight Distilled Water and a bit of Iodine will cool anything as well, if not better, than an expensive coolant, that I have proved to myself at considerable cost....sigh. I would agree with staying away from kits, but it's really up to you and what you want your cooling system to be. Kits are sometimes limited in their ability to flow water or cool and you have to deal with the sizes of whatever the kit has, whereas individual parts can be ordered to fit just like you want them too according to your case and layout. So, it's really depends on what You want you system to do for You.

Time to read Haga, will just take a few weeks to get the ropes etc on whats right and cost effective. WC is nice, High end Air cooling is sooo much easier and cheaper. WC is work, but not a lot as long as ya do it right to start with.

generally all kits are bad, though the swiftech ones are quite good

if you dont want to research to learn about watercooling, and have a "low" budget, just stick with high end air like the TRUE, it probably performs better than the kit you listed.

heres a quote by me from another thread

but with the budget you are listing you can get a good setup

mcr320 rad $50 ish
mcp655 pump $80 ish
fuzion cpu block $60 ish
3x yate fans $10 ish
10 feet tubing $ 10 ish

all prices are ish as this is what i can remember off my head, they might have changed a couple of $over time, but nothing extreme

and for a liquid just use distilled water with some iodine, DO NOT use fluid xp or something like that.

Back