• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Dell tax?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

OC101

So order online from Dell require tax?
It was shipped from a different state.

Why newegg or any other online stores never changed me any tax?

Online retailers charge tax when they have an actual presence in your state.

Simple rule - if they have an address in your state, you got tax.
Since Dell has their random kiosks in malls all over the place, they have an actual presence in many states, and thus charge tax.

FYI, Newegg has warehouses in at least CA, NJ, TN, and those states have to pay tax.

Also note that tax is determined by the shipping address, not location you ordered from.

Right. Actually, Dell is closing out all their kiosks, but since they are sold in Walmart and other chain stores nowadays, you are going to pay tax on anything you purchase from them.

Some vendors actually reached agreements with some states to charge the current tax rates applicable, even though not required. I believe this was to avoid later hassles, although to this point, most states haven't really gone after taxes as much as I thought they would. You can still read many, many, articles about states getting fired up about lost taxes to the Internet, so the issue isn't going away. This is actually going to be a very big issue for ecommerce in the future.

I always thought that you only pay tax if the specific company has registered an address at that particular state (e.g. a warehouse...etc), not because they are selling at walmart, target, bestbuy.

Sony has presence in every state. If I buy from newegg, I dont pay tax. I'm from Illinois.

Sony has presence in every state. If I buy from newegg, I dont pay tax. I'm from Illinois.

You are buying from newegg not from sony. Go to sony website and order laptop and you will be taxed.

If the retailer is located out-of-state and does not have a physical location or other type of physical representation in the state, the state cannot require the retailer to collect tax. However, some out-of-state retailers voluntarily collect tax as a convenience to their customers.

Dell is not like newegg. Though they sell items through their web-site dell provides services, which might be the reason for taxes.

As goes for being taxed, your are not tax exempt when you buy out of state. You are not paying sales tax but you should have figure your use tax.

You are buying from newegg not from sony. Go to sony website and order laptop and you will be taxed.

That's the point i'm making. I'm buying from newegg, not Sony.

Since he is buying from Dell directly and being charged for tax. I'm assuming that is because Dell has a physical location registered in the State. Not because Dell is selling at Walmart. In this case, he is buying from Dell, not Walmart.

Right. Actually, Dell is closing out all their kiosks, but since they are sold in Walmart and other chain stores nowadays, you are going to pay tax on anything you purchase from them.

Actually that won't count since they're simply selling to a reseller who in turn collects the tax and pays it to the state. The Dell kiosks were owned by Dell as opposed to Walmart which is Walmart.

Back