• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

New hardware, time to upgrade my WC setup

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

CW369

Registered
Hello,,,

I've had a nice system running for over a year and a 1/2 now(new record for me, usually it's every 6 months I get the upgrade bug :D) and I've spent the past 3 weeks trying to decide on what I want to upgrade and how I want to WC my new setup.

The current WC setup I have (all 1/2" ID tubing/fittings)
Swiftech H20 Apex-Ultra kit - (apogee cpu block, MCP655 pump, MCR220 Radiator, DD Maze4 GPU water block)

My current hardware specs for my rig are in my sig.

The new setup I have chosen to go with is:
ASUS Maximus Formula X38(non SE) mobo
BFG 8800GTS 512MB Video Card
CM Stacker 830 full tower case
Intel Q6600 Quad Core CPU
I will be re-using the HDD/DVD/PS/RAD/PUMP from my old setup(boy that sounds odd, not taking much at all, and OLD??)

The WC parts I have ordered so far are : (all 1/2" ID)
Ek-FC88 GT Acetel Nvidia GeForce 8800 GPU cooler
EK-Supreme Universal Premium High Performance CPU Water Block - Acetal (EK-Supreme - Acetal)
EK-NB S-MAX Acetal (For Asus Maximus) (EK-NB S-MAX-AC) Northbridge
EK-NB/SB ASUS 3 - Acetal Chipset Block SB Southbridge
EK-Multioption RES 250 Rev 2
Tygon 1/2" ID 5/8" OD Tubing and PrimoChill coolant
Misc backplates/connectors/fillport/Yate Loon Fans/AS5/etc/etc/etc

Obviously I am now going to WC more with this new setup than I have with my current setup, and the new parts(mobo chipset/cpu/gpu) are going to run hotter from what I have been reading. I am going to overclock my
Q6600/8800, so with that in mind:

I am concerned that the MCR220 rad is not going to be enough to fit the bill, considering the case I have chosen, should I get a second MCR220 rad? If I were to add a second rad, will the MCP655 be enough to handle this?

The PS I currently have is the OCZ 700GXSSLI 700W which has been rock solid for me, but I am wondering if I should get a better PS for the setup I am about to build. I have been told that it "should" be enough since I am not running dual video cards, but if I need to add a second pump.....

I will be using the new setup for gaming/video editing, just like my current setup.(which is never on 24/7)

I would appreciate any input on this, thanks in advance...

Back