• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

is there something wrong with my water cooling??

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

narcotis

i am getting temps around 70*C under load with a Danger Den water cooling setup CPU only,

Q6600 OC to 3.0 333x9 NO voltage adjustments, all still stock,
vCore ~ 1.28
NB ~ 1.5
MEM ~ 1.8

I have
MC TDX water block
Black ice Extreme 240 Radiator
1/2" tubing and 4 fans in push/pull config on my radiator
Fluid xp Ultra

i am seeing people with similar overclocks of 3.0Gz getting much lower temps under load with air cooling,
why is my water cooling not performing as good?

I would try reseating the water block on the processor, applying new thermal paste.

Edit: beat by mere seconds

A TDX probably cannot handle the large die size of a quad core. or its heat output.

the tdx is well over the size of the CPU, and is Danger dens spacific for a quad core

i have reseated it once caus instead of a line across that is spread with the heatsink, i put a glob in the middle and spread it by hand

I'd have to agree with that block not being the best performer. I don't think you are going to get much better than air.

--pak

You need to let the contact of the cpu and waterblock/heatsink do the spreading, otherwise you can end up with air pockets(which is very bad). I know where you're coming from with the spreading by hand(via toothpick, credit card, whatever), but that just doesn't work these days when trying to get the absolute most out of the thermal paste.

yeah i read a forum here tht discussed that and i immediatly reinstalled the seatsink the correct way,
when i took it off after spreading by hand i noticed that all of it was just forced out to the sides and there was actualy a ring around the processor that was all as5

The TDX should not be giving you temps like that, ppl dis it all the time but it still destroys air . You have the water comming into the center inlet right ?

I have a TDX with a Q6600 and my temps are around 45-50 under load. But I also lapped my block, and cleaned out the inside of it.

Do you have the inlet in the center?
any kinks in the line?
did you clean the inside the of the WB?

take the line from the cpu to the rad off (at the rad end) and if its moving it iwll dump out.

not without a flow indicator(adds restriction) or air in the line. You have to trust that it's moving based on the fact that the pump is still running without burning itself out. As long as there's no reason for the coolant not to move(blockage, kink in the line), it will move.

LucifurFox yes the inlet is in the center, all i did was get the parts, install them, fill them, and run them didn't lapp anything, and im not sure what you meant by cleaning the inside??

However i really do not see getting a 20* difference by lapping anything

50-55 is what I would expect to see . is your block making good contact ?

When he says cleaned out the inside i think he means cleaned out any algee that was growing there.

is your pump on ? if so what speed ? Do you have the fans on your rad pushing or pulling the air ?

At any point did you run your pump @ all with no water in it ?

means opening the water block, to check for shavings or anything, I found one in mine. but the most likely possibility is your not getting good enough contact, the block has to be tight against the cpu, and use a good thermal paste like arctic silver 5.

Personally I would have the water going to the rad before the waterblock, so its as cool as it can be before getting heated again. also make sure your pump is pushing the water through the loop aswell.

wow console, you must of hit the "post" button a few seconds before me XD

Last edited:
Back