• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Why do you need more power than 300w?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
more stability when you overclock at high speeds+ you can install more fans and hardware later on

yes I could use my 300watt but I can tell you right now its not nearly as stable as my 431watt enermax and you never have to worry about your psu failing either if you get a name brand psu now

I tell you an example - My 300W psu currently gives out enough juice to power about 1.6ghz Athlon XP. As soon as I go higher, Voltages drop all the way down. I get random reboots. Increasing VIO, VMEM and VCORE voltages INCREASES the problems.

Overclock as high as you can get stable. then increase all voltages you can increase - if your system gets unstable then, (as long you have enough cooling) your PSU is too weak.

I only got a 350W Antec because it was the same price as an AOpen 250W!
My comp specs are:
900 Duron with Volcano 5
256 MB PC 133
Shuttle AK11 mobo
Pioneer DVD 16x
Sony 8/4/32
Sony Floppy
1 92mm Sunon
1 80mm Enermax
1 80mm generic
Hauppauge WinTv FM
ESS modem
GeForce 2 MX 200 64 MB
SB sound card

Sorry the specs are so long, but I though I should list all my parts

Dabljuh said:
As soon as I go higher, Voltages drop all the way down. I get random reboots. Increasing VIO, VMEM and VCORE voltages INCREASES the problems.

Ditto. My 300's crap. Gotta get a real one to re-attatch my volt mod and get up to 1150mhz+ again.

Back