• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

removing tubing from plastic barbs

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

leftheaded

alright, what's the trick to getting the tubing off the plastic barbs? i tossed in the microwave for 11 seconds and that didn't work... tried another 11 seconds and melted the o-ring.. :bang head DOH!

i'm tempted to put this build on a shelf and order some metal EK fittings. They are easy to get on/off the metal.. it's these plastics barbs that suck

Just cut it off. Score through it with a razor a few times lengthwise and it'll split without messing up the barb.

^yup. But I have had some metal barbs that got hose stuck on them. Even when I put the barb in a vise and pulled as hard as I dared it wouldn't come off. So I just cut it.

Yea, I had to cut tubing off the metal barbs in my loop as well to fix some mistakes. The problem pulling on the tubing is that you're stretching it lengthwise, which makes the diameter tighter, thus requiring more force to pull it off. At that point you'll probably damage the tubing anyway using tools to try and yank it off the barb.

It does mean that you'll go through more tubing, but it's really the only way of doin' it. If your tubing was loose enough to easily get off and on the barb, I wouldn't use it at all since I wouldn't trust the tightness of how it was fitting.

Back