• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Cooling advice water or air Q6600

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

TheQman

I am going to be building a new system and would like a little advice on cooling it. My hardware is going to be
ASUS P5E3 Deluxe WiFi, Q6600, OCZ 1066 mhz PC8500 DDR3, 2 Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 16mb cache 250GB SATA 300 hard drive set up raid 0, EVGA Geforce 8800 512 mb Superclocked video card.

Also i will not have air conditioning in the summer and I live in New England so the Ambient temp could reach up to 90 to 95 degrees F. I would like to overclock it to 3.0 Ghz and will be playing games like COD4, Crysis,World of Warcraft, and I use 3d creation and rendering programs Poser 7, 3DSMAX, Maya,Vue Desprit and will be doing some pretty big renders.

Thank you
Mike

:welcome: to the forums.

Well, while it will probably run ok, your OC may have issues if you use air and dont have any kind of AC in the room the machine is in. However it also depends, if you will have it in a basement it usually isnt a problem.

Without AC, I would WC it if you want to maintain a nice OC like 3.6ghz which most people get.

For 3GHz air should be adequate...maybe even the stock HS.

Why are you going DDR3, but only getting 1066 sticks? For those speeds I think DDR2 would be a much better bang4$.

Thanks to Answer Both

The reason I'm going DDR3 is because that is all that board supports, I could go with a different board (DDR2) but I was thinking about future upgrade. Let me ask you this, would there be any speed advantage running the DDR3 1066 vrs the DDR2 800 ? And no the computer won't be in the cellar. And If I need to go to a water cooling system do I buy a kit or buy parts and piece it togeather myself?? And what am I looking to spend? And there is no air equivelant to water? How about those hybrids by Coolit do they work?
Thanks
Mike

Oh can you recommend the best airr cooler I can get, and maybe even a case I haven't decided onn that either, and how many fans should I put in tthe case
thanx again

Last edited:
You are really throwing money away buying DDR3. RAM is not the bottle-neck in high-end rigs. DDR3 is only if you have money to burn, and want DDR3-2000 speeds for benching. Real-world you won't see any difference. DDR3-1066 vs. DDR2-800...might have to give the nod to DDR2 b/c of the tighter timings, but I'm not really sure.

By the end of the year (or early next year) Nehelem will be out, and that might be a good time to go DDR3. And if you still had the above mentioned DDR3-1066 you'd want to upgrade that anyway to a higher speed, so DDR2 is still the best choice now.

Good DDR2-800 will run at DDR2-(1100-1200) for around $25/GB...can't beat that.

I also would rather go w/ the Foxconn P35 MARS MoBo. I've got my sights set on it, but just can't justify having 2 P35 boards.

Good air like the TRU120E (best air cooler) will beat or equal an off the shelve water kit. Your going to need a custom water solution in the ~$300 range to top good air.

If I had to get a case today it'd probably be the Armor+, or Antec900 if you're looking for something a little smaller.

Both these cases come w/ adequate fans, but I always put extra fans where ever I can fit them.

Good air like the TRU120E (best air cooler) will beat or equal an off the shelve water kit. Your going to need a custom water solution in the ~$300 range to top good air.

If he will be running the machine in the summer with potential temps over 90F and humid with no AC, he is going to have some temp issues. If the machine was in an ACed room its one thing, but no AC on hot days? Even the TR u120 will have problems keeping the chip cool for a good OC.

If he will be running the machine in the summer with potential temps over 90F and humid with no AC, he is going to have some temp issues. If the machine was in an ACed room its one thing, but no AC on hot days? Even the TR u120 will have problems keeping the chip cool for a good OC.

I agree to an extent, but for only 3GHz (as mentioned) he could possibly undervolt and be alright. I wouldn't be priming in 95*F, but regular use should be alright. He's in New England, not Florida. I can see hot days, but not 3 months of 90*+ weather. Just go to the pool on those really hot days. Who wants to stick to their computer chair anyway.

alot of people recommend the tr u120, but for the price i love my nirvana. but if you do go water, make sure you build your own, there is plenty of good info here in the stickies. and these guys who have been doing this a long time are extremely helpful.

Thank you everyone.

I just want to thank everyone for all the very fast and good advice, I'm glad I stumbled across this site. This is a top notch site and it will be my first stop for any of my hardware advice. I'm going to be starting another thread for advice on a mobo look for it.

Thanks again, you've been a great help.

Mike

Back