• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

North Bridge Blocks...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Element-Xero

Looking for one for the motherboard in my sig.

I have never WC'd a NB before, even on my old school setups, but these days NB is seeming to me like a major barrier in OC potential and I will likely include it in a loop with a CPU block in the next month or two.

However I'm not really sure what the standardization is like in terms of mounting. Is there a standard method like CPU blocks or is it more mickey-mousing type solutions and/or heavy duty thermal adhesives?

If that's the case I will probably skip it, but if I can find a block that uses straight up bolt-on style mounting I would love to do it.

Any thoughts?

It's not anymore of a barrier than it used to be. If anything a lot of motherboards are setup to offer a lot more flexibility out of the northbrige in terms of available speeds and voltages than before. Plus, you should also consider that some boards have semi elaborate setups involving the cooling of the mosfets as well, which is far more important.

Also, such a block adds more restriction with negligible gains, possibly hindering the cooling of the CPU due to the added restriction(which is counterproductive).

It's not anymore of a barrier than it used to be. If anything a lot of motherboards are setup to offer a lot more flexibility out of the northbrige in terms of available speeds and voltages than before. Plus, you should also consider that some boards have semi elaborate setups involving the cooling of the mosfets as well, which is far more important.

Also, such a block adds more restriction with negligible gains, possibly hindering the cooling of the CPU due to the added restriction(which is counterproductive).

All valid points that kept me from cooling NB in the past.

What I've noticed though, is that I've gotten a solid stable OC out of my chip on decent air cooling (over 1GHz), but temps aren't enough of an issue to be hindering me at this point (low to mid 50s load).

I couldn't get beyond the FSB in my sig, EVEN WHEN I LOWERED the multi, bringing me to a lower overally speed, which tells me its the NB. The more voltage I put to it, the faster my box crashed.

I might be reading the wrong signs here but to me that says "more nb cooling might yield you your 4.0GHz goal!".

Are you using the stock Gigabyte cooler? If so, just get a decent air cooler to start. Swapping my stock cooler (same as yours, by the looks of it) for a ZM-NBF47 yielded a 15C drop in NB temps. An HR-05 should yield even more impressive results, especially if you strap an 80mm fan on there.

Some processors just won't go beyond a certain FSB on certain mobos as well. Not necessarily the northbridge. For around $10 or so, the ZM-NBF47 would be a good place to start.

Are you using the stock Gigabyte cooler? If so, just get a decent air cooler to start. Swapping my stock cooler (same as yours, by the looks of it) for a ZM-NBF47 yielded a 15C drop in NB temps. An HR-05 should yield even more impressive results, especially if you strap an 80mm fan on there.

Some processors just won't go beyond a certain FSB on certain mobos as well. Not necessarily the northbridge. For around $10 or so, the ZM-NBF47 would be a good place to start.

Yeah I am and it is not a very good one, it's just a standard passive heatsink. I will have a look at that Zalman cooler. Thanks.

That's definitely a better option than bothering with water on the NB. Heck, I'm sure you're aware but just like in the past even changing the thermal compound on the stock NB heatsink can make a difference.

I just noticed the first Google link for ZM-NBF47 is a frostytech review which is poorly done and wrong. They say it can't handle a P35, but that just ain't the case. My G33 chipset runs just as hot, if not hotter (though I don't use the integrated graphics so I can't say for sure) as a P35 and like I said, it's 15 degrees cooler than the stock heatsink.

This review actually TESTED the thing, and their results are part of what convinced me to buy one: http://hardware.gotfrag.com/portal/story/38953/

Not much worse than HR-05 and half the price..

I just noticed the first Google link for ZM-NBF47 is a frostytech review which is poorly done and wrong. They say it can't handle a P35, but that just ain't the case. My G33 chipset runs just as hot, if not hotter (though I don't use the integrated graphics so I can't say for sure) as a P35 and like I said, it's 15 degrees cooler than the stock heatsink.

This review actually TESTED the thing, and their results are part of what convinced me to buy one: http://hardware.gotfrag.com/portal/story/38953/

Not much worse than HR-05 and half the price..

Yeah plus I am slightly terrified of that much metal hanging off of my motherboard since I already have a HR-03GT and a fairly large Arctic Cooling heatpipe sink on my CPU. lol. Thermalright has some cool looking/performing quietpc-friendly designs but with their sinks on every component...damn thats some real estate.

Swiftec make MCW30...

Its only about 10 bux more than a HR-50 and you get silent operation and the benifits of water!

I find it helps me to OC my RAM...

Back