• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Problem with the DD IONE 8800 GTS(G92) Waterblock.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Tantalum

Registered
I seem to be having a rust problem with my new waterblock, its not even a week old and I only had it in my loop for maybe 35 seconds before I had to turn the pump off and disassemble the loop thanks to a leak. Here is a picture of it

http://img249.imageshack.us/img249/4761/1000894dv6.jpg

As you can see there is one large rust spot and smaller bits of it all over the card, even over the spots that did not even get touched with water(o_O?). I have checked and its not mold so it has to be rust, that or is the finish supposed to come off after even a small amount of use? Im mainly worried about it rusting near the seal and it starting to leak.

So should I just RMA it back? Or will the rust not harm anything?

Hmm, I don't like the look of that. I can't say for certain that bad or not but I don't think it should be happening. Another opinion please?

Tell us about your loop, what rad, components, liquid you are using. And did you leave water in the IONE for a few days before you noticed the spot? My IONE looks spotless after over 30 days.

How much further can you OC with the IONE as opposed to the stock 8800GTS cooler? And what are your temps like?

Kamski

Im not sure. The barbs on my Zalman ZM-WB4 Gold cracked and broke off thanks to the pressure from the hose clamps while we were putting the card in. I get about 30-33c at 3.8Ghz on a E6850 with my current set up though, so I should be able to overclock it pretty well.

Copper can't "rust".
That just looks like a bit of oxidation and should be harmless.
hey clocker2,
rust is a form of oxidation and when copper oxidizes, it turns green.

as for the block. i have no clue what that is, but i would play it safe and rma it. does it move if you shake it? if so, there may be some other part of your loop that has a problem and not the IONE.

No it doesn't move if I shake it or can it even be scraped off. It feels like something tried eating the metal but there shouldn't be anything in my loop that can do that, my cpu block had been in the loop for months without anything happening too it. Its not really green its more of a blackish color it also seems to be on the acrylic.

It may be some type of corrosion... What is your cpu block made of? What is your radiator made of

If there is more than one type of metal in the loop it will begin corroding quickly unless you put a small amount of radiator fluid in it... say 90/10 water to radiator fluid...

RMA the block if you can and take apart the rest of your loop and clean it thoroughly with vinegar then flush it with distilled water a few times. Then reassemble with new tubing.

My waterblock was gold plated and I dont use a radiator. I cant really add in any form of radiator fluid unless its safe to breath and drink. My new Cpu block is copper though so if I RMA the gpu block at least I wont have to worry about it happening again.

Well with a Evap system like I have it tends to put alot of water into the air, which means it also puts what is in the water into the air. Which I then breathe. By drinking I had meant is it safe enough to be used as a food additive which I think is the test they use for water additives that will be used in things like air conditioners and humidifiers.

Looks like your running some odd setup. PLEASE post the specs of your system. You don't run a rad? What the hell is pulling the heat out of the loop? Have you opened the IONE yet to actually see what is inside.

We are like doctors sometimes trying to help someone who is on another planet and is dumb and deaf. You gotta help us and fess up what the heck your doing. You run no rad, you need to tell us what your doing.

Otherwise I give up.

even with an evap, wouldnt you need a rad? i will be the first to admit i know little about how to do an evap system, but it would seem to make sense. regardless, rma the block, clean your loop and you should be fine.

Well with a Evap system like I have it tends to put alot of water into the air, which means it also puts what is in the water into the air. Which I then breathe. By drinking I had meant is it safe enough to be used as a food additive which I think is the test they use for water additives that will be used in things like air conditioners and humidifiers.

I'm dying to see a picture of this.

Kamski

^ search the forum for Bong and Evaporative Cooling, you'll find many threads on it.

As far as your setup goes "gold plated" or otherwise, thats very suspect. Most zalman's have an aluminum top which will react with the non plated parts in your system. Even high quality anodized parts seem to have problems with this. I'd suggest replacing it with something better anyways (even a White Water will do).

If you want to clean off the oxidation, open the block up and use some Never Dull or ketchup and rub the spots off. Be sure to clean the block off with 90+% Isopropyl alcohol.

I will get some pictures of my setup once I get home. Most evap cooling setups don't use a radiator and rely on the cooling caused by the phase change of the water to water vapor. I will write up a better explanation once I get home as well to go with the pictures.

And did you ever open the IONE to actually figure out what was inside of it? I see spots of gunk near some of the screws used to hold acrylic cover. What is that stuff? Did you open the IONE before using it?

Back