• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Shopping List, with questions

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Jorick

Registered
Just wanted to make sure that I'm not missing anything important, so I thought I'd post my list to make sure.

I'm going to go with 3/8" fittings for everything... After reading the tubing sticky, it doesn't seem like 1/2" makes much sense.

1x ThermalTake Armor Case
1x dTek Fuzion block
2x 3/8" barbs for the dTek (a la http://www.petrastechshop.com/dhifig1th3od.html)
1x Liang DDC 3.2 (18w)
1x Petra's Tech Shop Top for Liang DDC with 3/8" barbs
1x Thermochill 120.3 radiator
1x Swiftech MCRES-Micro Hi-Flo Reservoir
3x Yate Loon D12SM-12 medium speed fans
?x Enough 3/8" Tygon tubing to make it all work

I'll buy iodine and algaecide locally. Same with distilled water and worm-drive clamps.

Now for the questions...

1. I posted earlier today about case selection, and came out of the thread wth an eye towards the TT Armor. It was mentioned that a 120.3 would fit in the case without modifications needed. I'm not very handy, at all, with cutting/drilling, plus I want everything inside of the case. Will I be able to fit everything in without modifying the case?

2. I know that the 120.3 is overkill for what I'm doing (just cpu cooling). I'm looking at this with an eye towards possibly bringing my video card into the loop down the line. I doubt I'll do SLI. Is the 120.3 just plain overkill, even with a video card?

3. Do I need to worry about corrosion at all with this setup? My gut says no, but I've been wrong before. My plan is to just run with distilled water, and a little bit of iodine and de-algae junk from the pet store.

4. I thought I read somewhere that Thermochill 120.2 and 120.3 do not need a shroud.. But, I see them being sold. Is one actually needed?

5. It doesn't seem like there are any fittings that are marked hi-flow for the 3/8" threaded outlet/inlet on the Thermochill... In fact, it seems like the only things available are some plastic ones. Did I miss anything, or is it just the plastic fittings for this?

6. Do the Yate Loon fans have any sort of issue if they're put on a controller and throttled back? I figure they're overkill for my setup, but I might as well go big now, instead of buying more parts later. :) I've looked at http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=171661 but the graphs are so close together, I can't tell which is which. I'm also not sure if the Thermochill qualifies as a low-flow or medium-flow radiator. If I can get away with the lower flow ones (Especially the blue LED ones) I wouldn't cry.

The YL mediums drop to 7v very nicely and very quiet. Mine are on low (lookies my sig) No worries for you on corrosion either. The 120.3 PA rad will do a hot CPU/GPU/NB with no problems and you have spare room. A 120.2 would prolly do the CPU/GPU okay, but for just a few more bucks for the 120.3 it's worth it. A shroud will help drop temps a tad, but it's not needed at all. I got my shroud on the pull side of the rad, IF I try to go SLI the rad will help me keep my temps down a bit since I'd be pushing it with one 120.3.

Back