• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Need a cheap, but OC'able Socket 370 board

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Stephen Castles

need a cheap, yet OC'able board for the celery 600 i have laying around, any suggetions ?

How good of an overclocker is this chip? it's a SL46U 600/128/66/1.5v

The Abit ST6 is a great mobo with lots of overclocking features that is fairly reasonable and the nice thing about it is that you can upgrade to the 1.2 gig Tualatin later on when you can afford it (they often overclock up to the 1.4 to 1.5 gig range). If you're on an extremely tight budget, then you might need to look around for an used motherboard.

Your current Celeron 600 is a cB0 stepping, not as good of an overclocker as the cC0 C-600 CPUs, but still a classic overclocking friendly chip. With a good CPU cooler and good thermal paste (and maybe an extra case fan or two), you should expect on average, up to 900 to 950 MHz.

An even more cheaper alternative is the ABit VH6T. It's Tualatin ready and, like the ST6, will support even higher Tualatin CPU's in the future should you need it.

One thing to consider with the two boards mentioned above, the VH6T and the ST6 will only allow a max vcore of 1.825. Many of those Celly 600's including mine need 1.9-1.95v to achieve the 1 gig plateau. I'm using an old BH6 BX board with an MSI sloket with voltage options up to about 2.1v. If you're only looking to hit 900, either of those boards will probably work plus they are Tualatin compatable for a future upgrade.

i love this place i was going to ask that exact same question

but i have a celeron 700/128/66/1.7v
Q102A345-0159 SL4P8

and a stick of 256mb pc133 ram i want to make a mp3 server on my lan and so i can play starcraft broodwar with more peeps

this will be my first intel adventure in awhile (i have a DX60) he it worked for 7 years without a glitch so what does that say for gateway then i got into the K6-2s then a t-bird that i build

well anyway thanks for thinking alike i just might look into those boards

on another note is there a board that supports dual celerons i have been searching but not finding or does the BP6 support them

thanks

mujgy said:
on another note is there a board that supports dual celerons i have been searching but not finding or does the BP6 support them

thanks

Celeron II's don't support operating in dual mode. Only the original celeron PPGA's up to 533 support dual mode operation.

well now i know bo urns allwell so i should look into one of the boards in this post i guess

all well

thanks

Abit ST6.

It is Tualatin compatible for future use.

It has 1/4 dividers so for future use if your going anything over 140 or so FSB you can keep your things in spec.

It processes the chip at 100% not no other ones that don't use its full potential.

It is a very stable board and very good one.

if you live in the toronto area im selling a used (but spotless) CUSL2 pretty cheap at the end of Jan.:D

(i know im not supposed to post that but i need 100 posts to use the wanted and for sale forums...:rolleyes: )

email me if youre interested...
[email protected]

Back