• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Best Buy rant

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

MitchV

Best Buy screwed me out of a $15 gift card. Keep in mind that I'm 33 years old and do well enough that a $15 gift card does not justify that time I spent complaining.... but it's the principle of being offered something, and then getting screwed over by their "support staff." Best Buy was never NewEgg, but that chain has really gone downhill over the past 10 years.

I canceled my Best Buy credit card yesterday. The credit card was so old (10+ years) that the cashiers would frequently comment to me that they had never seen one like it before. I cut up the canceled card and snail-mailed it to customer support with the following letter.

2/20/2008
To Whom It May Concern:

Congratulations, YOU WIN!!! I have now given up on any hopes of receiving the $15 gift card that was promised in the November promotion when I bought an iPod as a Christmas gift.

The gift card didn’t arrive in November when I received the iPod. I immediately called Customer Service when it arrived in November and was told that the card would arrive separately. I called again a couple of months later on February 4th and was told that the matter would be forwarded to the research department. I was told to expect a phone call. Two weeks later I called again to learn the status ( I received no response to the Feb 4th call). The research department e-mailed me that evening (I requested a call) only to tell me that because it is now past 60 days ( the rep I spoke to in November didn’t note my call in your system) that I was no longer eligible to receive the $15 gift card.

I e-mailed [email protected] to inform them that I did call in November, only to be told once again that the 60 day policy prevented them from honoring the gift card promotion. The case numbers were 46045199 and 45570375 if you are interested.

The canceled credit card I am sending is over 10 years old. I’ve been a Best Buy customer for longer than that. I’ve bought a lot of merchandise from you guys over the years… Stereos (home and car), TVs, refrigerators, washers, computer equipment, and now that I have children playing video games I have purchased many game systems and gifts as well.

Over those 10 years I have noticed that your prices are no longer as competitive as they once were. Customer service is not as good. Warranty service no longer offers “loaner equipment”, I’ve found that the warranty turn-around time isn’t as quick, and the return policy isn’t as good as it used to be (there are now restocking fees)!! Oh… and the rewardzone program isn’t as good as it was when I paid for the privilege of being a member.

Dealing with Best Buy over a $15 card has been frustrating and I hope you guys figure out how to fix the things I have mentioned. Until then, I won’t be shopping at Best Buy.

Wow dude that sucks, I wonder what their HR will do when they come across that peice of mail :)

Nice letter. :thup: If more people do as you did maybe they will wake up and change things around. I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for it to happen though.

Nice letter. :thup: If more people do as you did maybe they will wake up and change things around. I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for it to happen though.

just one person cant change it. sadly, best buy cares less about 1 particular person, now if it was thousands at one time it would be different.

Mitch, I think you handled it perfectly and your letter was very well written, That is the type of response that should get someone to sit up and take notice.

One thing is for sure, they dont have anywhere near competitive prices anymore. Since they've established a reputation, they are just profiting on their name. I would much rather just go to the local CC and buy from them. Unfortunately thats the only other electronics store where i live. No competition + Rural Location = Higher prices. FTL!

what really sucks for me is the nearest TigerDirect Retail store is a 20-40 min. drive depending on traffic, i'd much rather go to Fry's but thats like an hour long drive and thats according to google maps so if you factor in traffic..... /sigh

what really sucks for me is the nearest TigerDirect Retail store is a 20-40 min. drive depending on traffic, i'd much rather go to Fry's but thats like an hour long drive and thats according to google maps so if you factor in traffic..... /sigh

Cry me a river, I would kill to have either of those within a 2 hour drive.

Ah yes, Worst Buy at it's best. In terms of my history with Worst Buy, I've had all the negatives you talked about plus the 10 items I've purchased from them over the past 6-7 years have ALL BROKEN within 80 days but never within 30 (even headphones). YAY!

I occasionally receive gift cards to there and I always try and fail to get something that lasts longer than said period. I'd buy an iTunes gift card with the gift card but apparently thats not allowed.

My friend just quit working at best buy saturday cause they would adjust his schedule for school, he promised not to go into that store ever again if he doesn't HAVE to lol...its party time!

i know a coupple that work at best buy. its not pretty lol.

with best buy, its whats good for the corporation, not what is going to work for you.

Well, I work at Best Buy and I honestly have to say if you'd been in our store (hell, ANY physical location) we don't even have the option of not giving you a giftcard if it exists, the register forces us to activate one.

At my store, and the other I've worked at while in school, everyone treats each other and customers with the utmost respect that they deserve. I mean I'm FULLTIME student and employee and they still schedule me around my school schedule. Not to mention when I was part time, they can't schedule you outside of your availability, so neonlazer I don't know why your friend had such an issue with it, it's corporate policy.

Not saying you didn't have a bad experience or that it was your fault, the other BestBuy I worked at sucked balls. They were hardcore "protect the margin!" Whereas the one I work at now will pretty much replace anything, and even keeps a limited amount of loaner units on hand whenever we can. It's probably for that reason it's in the upper 5% of the company right now.

And Caustic, BBY prices are for the most part universal unless it's an online only special or a market react price.

Yes, I'm defending the company I work for, I enjoy my job, they pay for school, 401k, stock discounts, etc. for student with no degree(yet!) and only a little retail experience it's awesome, and 95% of the people I help end up being happy.

PS I'd never buy components from them though.... ha ha!

Update - Customer service called me, apologized for the inconvenience, and will be sending me a $30 gift card. He told me that he looked up my purchase and noted that it was clearly made during the ipod/giftcard promotion time-frame and that the first representative I spoke with should have forwarded the gift card.

I thanked him and told him that it was a very nice gesture.

The only thing that puzzled me is that he mentioned "If you still want to cancel your credit card you have to call HSBC...." even though the letter contained my canceled and sliced up card! Maybe they just process those things and forward the name/address to another rep to do the speaking (I didn't include my phone number or address in the letter).

/sermon time
Just to add one more thing off the topic... canceling the credit card was really pretty meaningless. I got the card when I bought appliances for my first house for a financing promotion, something I would never do today. I might buy something with the card to get an extra 2% off, but I always payed the balance in full. You should NEVER carry a balance on a credit card - it's a slippery slope and so easy to do in America. The security and peace of mind you get from living debt free is worth more than any points/promotion that a lender can offer. It is much easier to never get into debt than it is to get OUT of debt - it just takes a lot of maturity and self-control.

/end sermon

Well, I work at Best Buy and I honestly have to say if you'd been in our store (hell, ANY physical location) we don't even have the option of not giving you a giftcard if it exists, the register forces us to activate one.

At my store, and the other I've worked at while in school, everyone treats each other and customers with the utmost respect that they deserve. I mean I'm FULLTIME student and employee and they still schedule me around my school schedule. Not to mention when I was part time, they can't schedule you outside of your availability, so neonlazer I don't know why your friend had such an issue with it, it's corporate policy.

Not saying you didn't have a bad experience or that it was your fault, the other BestBuy I worked at sucked balls. They were hardcore "protect the margin!" Whereas the one I work at now will pretty much replace anything, and even keeps a limited amount of loaner units on hand whenever we can. It's probably for that reason it's in the upper 5% of the company right now.

And Caustic, BBY prices are for the most part universal unless it's an online only special or a market react price.

Yes, I'm defending the company I work for, I enjoy my job, they pay for school, 401k, stock discounts, etc. for student with no degree(yet!) and only a little retail experience it's awesome, and 95% of the people I help end up being happy.

PS I'd never buy components from them though.... ha ha!

The local Lowe's store where I live is like that. Unless they don't have what I need, I shop there exclusively. Big chains *can* have that atmosphere. You can see it when you walk in the door and the employees are empowered to help you solve your problems.

Similar to the above letter I sent to Best Buy, I once wrote a POSITIVE letter to Lowe's and recounted all the good experiences I had with their store. I don't just ***** and complain, I let local establishments know when they are doing things right as well.

I stopped shopping at best buy when they decided to try and sell me a A/V receiver pre-assembled...I went looking for a sony (forgot what it was exactly) and they didn't have any in stock but were willing to sell me the display model at standard price + 20 dollars. I asked, shouldn't that be discounted for being open box. I was responded with, "yes, but we have to pay the people who already put this one together".

I walked out on them. I mean, I could be wrong, but I am pretty sure A/V receivers come assembled.

I will never buy anything from bestbuy. they are the most over priced company ever. there is not much to say and i think we all agree that bestbuy isn't the best place to buy something. now imo newegg is still the best company. I hear tons of rants about how newegg is a bad company, but i have gotten nothing DOA, and they have extremely well to satisfied all my purchases. For example i dealt with a 450 dollar international transaction. the buyer lost 25 dollars in paypal fees, newegg is going to credit me back the money. if anyone has a rant about newegg try their live chat, if you feel like you missing out or there is something they could have done better contact our newegg rep he is the man! he will set you up.

My dad got me a gift card for x-mas a few years back and in the process the gift card was never registered properly.

So basically they said they couldn't refund the money and it was 50$ down the drain.

An interesting thing about gift cards is that they are just pure gold. I was looking at some statistics from a few holiday shopping season and the amount of people that don't even use gift cards that are bought is just insane.

Best buy literally makes millions off of people that buy gift-cards and then the gift cards never get used or they give you some BS about how they can't get it to work.

Not just that, they make money of gift cards anyhow. Alot of people like me, when they get 2-3 dollars left just throw it out. They just made 3 dollars. Or, you go just over it and pay a little extra cash, more money for them. Sigh, if BB priced matched I might go there to see something CC might not have but all in all, its all bad rants to BB.

Back