• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

new to water cooling need help

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

damien c

hey guys im new to the idea of watercooling but seen as i've oc'd my cpu to 3.00ghz, my mobo temp has rocketed. i also would like to cool my gpu's properly as there in my mind is not enough room for air cooling, when using my gpu's in sli.
now i don't know where to start but i need to water cool both my gpu's my nb and possibly my south bridge if it, is possible and would like some recommendations on what is going to be able to do this and at what cost. i Have been looking at this for about, a week and have posted on allot of forums but no one seems to want to help:bang head i would greatly appreciate any help provided.

I would get a nice swiftech water cooling kit and get some good thermalright heatsinks for the northbridge and southbridge :D

Reason is that the Motherboard chipset doesnt typically produce too much heat so aircooling will do.

Stay away from any kit except swiftech. Otherwise build your own by selecting components.

What is your budget like? What case?

EDIT: woah! almost forgot!

:welcome: to OCF!

Last edited:
Yeah, what Aja said. I would not watercool the N/B or S/B either since those blocks tend to restrict the loop.

I like Swifttech stuff, works great for me. Can't go wrong with the following: Apogee GT CPU block, MCP655 pump, MCRES-MICRO reservoir (or T-line), MCR220-QP 2X120mm radiator, and 8-10 feet of 7/16" or 1/2" tubing.

The above list is just for the CPU. According to your signature, you have a pair of 8800 GTS vid cards. That means two GPU blocks that are low profile to fit when you have SLI setup. I haven't kept up with what's good in that regard. But, you almost need another 2X120mm rad for those babies. So, add another MCR220-QP 2X120mm radiator and two GPU blocks to the list.

i am going to wc my northbridge as it is hitting 60-80c did have it stable at 3.0ghz but have had to drop, it back to stock as i got a bsod when playing cod 4 for 30mins i think heat is deffo the issue as at stock, it is fine or even 2.67 but at 3.0 it seems fine then all of the sudden i get a bsod and in my bios my mobo temp is 57c and when windows loads it is 62c. my case is a icute gaming/server case with a 250mm fan on the side panel here is a link to it http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?TabID=1&ModuleNo=99417&doy=22m2

Yeah, the N/B on those P5N-D motherboards can get toasty, but they are only cooled with a passive heatsink. Pull the sink off, clean all the stock thermal gunk off, reapply with Arctic Silver thermal paste and then slap a nice fan on top that fits (see if a 60mm will fit, if not, then a 50mm or 40mm). If you get the right size screws, they'll go down in between the cooling fins and hold the fan on no problem. Been there and done that. If you still want to do N/B watercooling, then get a Swiftech MCW30 chipset block.

what do you think of
2x Zalman ZM-GWB8800 GTS VGA Water Block
2x Zalman ZM-NWB1 Northbridge Waterblock 1 for nb 1 for sb
1x Swiftech H20 APEX Ultra CPU Liquid Cooling Kit
4x Asetek WaterChill tubing (1/2inch OD) [Per Metre]
1x Thermaltake Aqua TMG2 Dual 120mm Motorsports Radiator for gpu's only
all comes to £350.00
if someone could advice as to if this is a good setup or not or if they no a better one for around the same price then i would appreciate it cheers guys

i have now took the side of my case put my cpu back to 3.0ghz and stuck a desk fan bloing in from the front of my case, and it has dropped my mobo temp while playing cod 4 from 62c to 51c at the moment and my gpus have also dropped in temp.

Damien, stay away from ANY Thermaltake watercooling parts, please. They in short terms suck.

Think about your case cooling. What case you use to move all that hot air.

Back