• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

New to water cooling. Quick question.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Aluminum is bad but chrome is not. The chrome is added because it doesn't react with most metals (including aluminum, copper, etc - the things found in our loops) and prevents oxidation on the underlying brass or steel that the fittings are actually made from.

Mixing alu with copper is best to avoid, but as Moto7451 aptly put it, chrome fittings are fine and won't cause corrosion. Make sure to post pics of this rig you are building.

Thanks guys.

A few other questions: What coolant should I use. I was thinking of using distilled water in a 50/50 mix with engine antifreeze. I heard of using iodine. What do you recommend?

I'm planning on getting an Asus Rampage Extreme. Does the built in water block have any aluminum?

Is Arctic Silver 5 the best thermal compound?

Last edited:
Thanks guys.

One other question: What coolant should I use. I was thinking of using distilled water in a 50/50 mix with engine antifreeze. I heard of using iodine. What do you recommend?

If you are running all copper, then you can use just straight distilled water with some fish aquarium algaecide. I also throw in 6-8 drops of alcohol free povidone-iodine (alcohol + acrylic=trouble). The iodine acts as a bacterial killer, and the algaecide is self explanatory. It only takes like 1 drop or so.

Some people prefer to use 5-10% pentosin type antifreeze (ie. VW/Audi blue, Toyota red) for its PH buffering and some pump lubrication that it provides, but that is just a preference and really isn't necessary. I am using red Toyota antifreeze (pentosin) for the red color more than anything. But you really don't want a higher concentration than this. Mixing distilled with 50/50 would yield a 25% antifreeze mix which is too high as water cools much better than antifreeze does. 5-10% antifreeze won't make a noticeable difference in temps, but 25% will.

Arctic Cooling MX-2 is the TIM you want. It will outperform AS5 by a few degrees C, and is non-capacitive unlike AS5.

Back