• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Toshiba Laptop with 7900GTX @ 101c *at the desktop*

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Automata

Destroyer of Empires and Use
Well, I have an issue again with this laptop. I am starting to get very frustrated.

Basically, I ordered this for the 06 school year (that isn't a typo) and have yet to really receive a functional laptop. The first laptop (this is the replacement one ;)) would blackscreen and restart while gaming and had an issue where it "forgets" to turn the GPU fan on. The second laptop doesn't black screen, but it has a severe issue with "forgetting" to the turn the fan on.

Screenshot for proof:

http://i55.photobucket.com/albums/g121/thideras/507b5372.jpg

It has been at the desktop, no gaming or anything 3d at all. That is with the GPU massively underclocked and we are at boiling.

I am going to call Toshiba later today, but is there anything short of opening it and wiring it to 12v (or a switch)....I'm tempted to do that.

Please understand I am very frustrated with this laptop since Toshiba has literally told me "that can't happen" every time I call (when explaining the fan not turning on and running at 100c+).

Any help is appreciated, especially if you know someone in the company that could assist me. This is getting ridiculous.

Things I've tried:

1) Speedfan (doesn't detect fan)
2) Rivatuner (doesn't detect fan)
3) Reinstall Windows (fixes it for around a week)
4) Got a REPLACEMENT laptop, problem followed

I'd call toshiba but I would also look for a bios update? If it's under warantee then I would hold off on messing with the internals for now.

I'd call toshiba but I would also look for a bios update? If it's under warantee then I would hold off on messing with the internals for now.
Did a BIOS update, yup. Warranty might not be valid (I was informed this by a local shop) since this is a refurbished one. "It might not carry over" is what I was told from the shop. I was NEVER told that it wouldn't carry over when I agreed to be sent a replacement.

:sn: edit: I am calling once I get off work :)

Just curious if anyone has any ideas since I have it sitting here.

I had a Toshiba laptop before my dell. It was a NIGHTMARE trying to get them to fix stuff. It took them 7 times (yes 7 dead serious) to fix a grinding fan. On the 7th time, me and the guy at best buy physically took a picture (dead serious again) and attached it to the laptop with tape. They kept changing the CPU fan and we told them again and again and again it was the chipset fan that was broken.

Either way, I'll never deal with Toshiba again. That's why I got my Dell laptop. I didn't even own a laptop for a good 3 months as it constantly going back.

Are you sure the GPU is actually running at those temperatures? If they are, the bottom should be VERY toasty when you touch it. Just do a feel test.

Have you tried taking the laptop apart and seeing whether its a contact issue? My Toshiba was very easy to take apart (lots of screws though so make sure you set them aside). I didn't have any problems with warranty even though I put screws in the wrong holes and they poked mounds in the plastic on the other side (oops!).

I had a Toshiba laptop before my dell. It was a NIGHTMARE trying to get them to fix stuff. It took them 7 times (yes 7 dead serious) to fix a grinding fan. On the 7th time, me and the guy at best buy physically took a picture (dead serious again) and attached it to the laptop with tape. They kept changing the CPU fan and we told them again and again and again it was the chipset fan that was broken.
I know ;). I've dealt with them a few times now, I can completely believe you.

Are you sure the GPU is actually running at those temperatures? If they are, the bottom should be VERY toasty when you touch it. Just do a feel test.
When it is so hot that you can't sit it on your lap or touch the keyboard for more than a few seconds, does that count as hot? :p

Have you tried taking the laptop apart and seeing whether its a contact issue? My Toshiba was very easy to take apart (lots of screws though so make sure you set them aside). I didn't have any problems with warranty even though I put screws in the wrong holes and they poked mounds in the plastic on the other side (oops!).
It is not a contact issue. I asked about it on the first laptop that I had. They opened it up and we verified that it was making good contact. They have switched this card out about 3-4 times now. The person who works locally does a very good job. This laptop and the first one I had are experiencing the exact same symptoms (minux the black screen + restart).

Just got off the phone. I was overly polite (she thought I was going to flip until about half way through! :D) and she fixed me up.

There was a BIOS update, tried that, no go (knew that >.>). She had me reformat and I told her I just did that today and it didn't work (it doesn't).

They want me to send it in. This will be try number 2 to actually send it in.

Unlike past call-ins, this one was quick and to the point, I enjoyed it since it took a total of maybe 20 minutes.

Just got off the phone. I was overly polite (she thought I was going to flip until about half way through! :D) and she fixed me up.

There was a BIOS update, tried that, no go (knew that >.>). She had me reformat and I told her I just did that today and it didn't work (it doesn't).

They want me to send it in. This will be try number 2 to actually send it in.

Unlike past call-ins, this one was quick and to the point, I enjoyed it since it took a total of maybe 20 minutes.

Very good. Keep us updated on how it goes!

Hopefully you will have a better RMA experience than I had...

Well, update.

Just got this laptop back from repair....take a guess...do it, I dare you.

SAME AS IT WENT IN

I am so P'Od right now it isn't funny. My hands are cold, sweating and shaking (I never get this mad). I honestly can't believe this left the repair depot without the problem being fixed.

Here is my "notes" for when I call in on Monday. I am not exaggerating anything, most likely, I missed a few things:

Over 15 times calling in
Sent in 3 times
Been in for repair at least 6 times to a local repair center
Graphics card has been replaced 4 times
Laptop has been replaced
Into the teens in reloading the operating system
Upgraded the BIOS a total of 6 times
Updated the drivers in excess of 15 times
XP and Vista exhibit the same issues (the ones that came with the laptop and OEM disc)
Been going on since Aug 24, 2006; has worked perhaps a total of 16 weeks
I have a 4 year warranty, I still don't have a working laptop

Issues:
1st laptop
a)Black screening
b)overheating

2nd laptop (worked better)
a)overheating (same issue as the last one)

The replaced system has been replaced and shows the exact same issues as the first one

Given the above, this laptop design is apparently incapable of working. I'm going back to school in August and need a working laptop. I want a $3200 refund or credit.

I am taking Monday off so that I can do this and a few other things that I need done.

wow toshiba dosen't sound like a good company anymore, I did have the perfect laptop that lasted forever from them but I droped it and the screen died. I hope your problems get fixed thideras.

Well this should cheer you up a bit, I hope. My roommate at college had a crap computer from the Tosh and after, if my memory serves me correctly, four trips to get it repaired they credited him toward a new computer. His new computer is a beast and they gave him more than the other computer was worth toward a new one to keep his business. Keep your head up and on an even keel and you will find a way to make it worth your while I hope. Keep us up to date here, I feel for ya.

I hope so...that would be pretty sweet. Honestly, if they give me credit, I'll buy the laptop and sell it. The college I'll be going to has an awesome warranty where if the laptop breaks, I can have a new one in 5 mins (the time it takes to walk to the center). They are Gateways...but that instant fix thing is pretty nice :-/

I get to talk to customer retention, I'm assuming that is who he talked to. I even get to skip all the crap, I get to talk directly with a manager.

Yep. As I said before, I had a HORRENDOUS time just getting a stupid fan fixed!!

Last time I will EVER deal with Toshiba.

Sorry to hear your misfortunes.

Here are my notes, I am so frustrated, I'm not posting any details until tomorrow.

Talked to rep, wanted to transfer me to the depot, told him multiple times, "no, this is not an issue any longer with the

repair, it is the entire laptop.
-very nice, easy to work with, had clear communication
- *removed case id*

Transfered to the depot, told them I'm fed up with this laptop, they told me the repairs that were done to it.
-easy to work with, explained what they did to my laptop (she did), transfered me right away, awesome :)

Transfered to customer relation.
-long wait time, busy single, called back, transfered me to depot again (wtf), transfered me to customer relations, 25 min wait, busy signal (WTF??!!?!?). Called back again, gave them case number and said I want to either speak with customer relations or a manager.

I am still on the phone, wait for updates.

tell them you want a total refund. don't stop until they do. Did you pay by credit card? perhaps you can reverse a payment for being totally stupid, small claims court?

Just got off...I got disconnected AGAIN.

I talked with the next rep and had to get a little rough at the beginning again so they don't do the whole "oh, you'll have to speak with the depot" crap each time. I explained afterwards that I was sorry, and I'm very frustrated with Toshiba in general, not at him. He was very relieved (see, I'm good at this ;)) to see I wasn't mad at him. He was able to escalate the call to "ASAP" and they will call me back within "1-5 business days".

I'm so mad right now I'm logging out for the night.

Just got off...I got disconnected AGAIN.

I talked with the next rep and had to get a little rough at the beginning again so they don't do the whole "oh, you'll have to speak with the depot" crap each time. I explained afterwards that I was sorry, and I'm very frustrated with Toshiba in general, not at him. He was very relieved (see, I'm good at this ;)) to see I wasn't mad at him. He was able to escalate the call to "ASAP" and they will call me back within "1-5 business days".

I'm so mad right now I'm logging out for the night.

Not to be the bringer of bad news, but unless you owe a company money, they will never be calling you lol. So goodluck getting that callback! I do hope they do though.

Not to be the bringer of bad news, but unless you owe a company money, they will never be calling you lol. So goodluck getting that callback! I do hope they do though.
I've been talking with someone else and I'm leaning towards small claims court.

I've been talking with someone else and I'm leaning towards small claims court.

I don't know anything at all about how small claims courts work, but I would assume as long as you have kept all paperwork and receipts relating to the repairs, your case should be a no brainer.

Back