• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

What are your opinions on the...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

beancooker

Koolance Exos-2? Good, bad? I can pick one up at "cost". It is brand new. I wouldn't mind getting it, but want to know if it's a pile of crap or not. I have read a couple of reviews on Koolance, which sound good, but none on the Exos-2. Any suggestions woulde be appreciated.

Koolance Exos-2? Good, bad? I can pick one up at "cost". It is brand new. I wouldn't mind getting it, but want to know if it's a pile of crap or not. I have read a couple of reviews on Koolance, which sound good, but none on the Exos-2. Any suggestions woulde be appreciated.
Prebuilt "watercoolers" are all horrible with an exception to the Swiftech ones. Build your own loop. ;)

Cool, then stay away from it, and the Thermaltake set ups? I can get either fairly cheap. Especially the thermaltake big water.

I ask, since my wife tried to surprise me today. She bought the CoolIT Eliminator and stowed it away in the trunk, before I came out of Fry's. She then surprised me at home with it.

Really cool of her to do that. I mean REALLY COOL. Too bad it's a POS, and I have to drive 50 miles to take it back...

LOL. Thanks guys. I guess I have a lot of sticky reading to do, then time to build!

Either that, or I'll take the lazy way out and get a Thermalright Ultra 120...

I have a fear of building my own watercooling setup. The fear is that something will leak or I'll get condensation.

when I made a loop for a frend, I built it with out it instaled so I could see if it leaked. are you yousing the psu from your case? If you are then you will fry your rig.

Was planning on it... Looks more like the Ultra 120 will be the choice. I picked up the Antec 900 case so I could fit a bigger heatsink. Currently, I am on my wife's PC, since the V1 went back, and I don't have a heatsink. I planned on picking up the Ultra 120, tomorrow, thgen the wife surprised me with the watercooler, and got the thought rolling. I called a buddy, and asked whet price he could do me for. He said 200 for the Koolance and 130 for the thermaltake. In my n00biness, I feel more comfortable with air cooling.

To the OP. Good air cooling like the TRUE and the 900 case your getting is plenty. WCing is fun but starts at $250 for decent stuff, I spent $600 to do my CPU/GPU/NB.

A TRUE, a HR03 for the GPU, and an HR05 for the NB is great stuff and quiet as heck. My 900 (before I went WC) was whisper quiet and stayed nice n' cool. My WC is a bit quieter, somewhat better temps and more work.

I was talking about new stuff, I never consider used or refurb.
That doesn't make much sense as the used and refurb stuff is usually the stuff that is actually bang for buck..

when I made a loop for a frend, I built it with out it instaled so I could see if it leaked. .
That's a pretty useless way to leak test. You realize that once you actually install the components into the case, the torque on the tubes that did not exist out of the case can spring leaks? As long as your motherboard or other components in the case aren't on, there really is no reason not to exclusively leak test in the case.

WCing is fun but starts at $250 for decent stuff

Nope, as thid said you can easily get decent parts for around $100. Even if you were to build a brand new loop, I imagine an Apogee, D5, MCR320, some fans and tubing is not going to cost more than $200 shipped.

ancalime, hate to burst your $200 bubble, here is a decent 120x3 kit with everything.
http://us-dc1-order.store.yahoo.net...re_id=yhst-65556269779593&sectionId=ysco.cart

It's $250 without shipping (add $11). Sure you can save a few bucks here n there by getting components from 3 diff places, and then the shipping goes up.

Peeps can argue all they want about used stuff is better, heater cores are cheaper. We are talking about the OP, new at this and doesn't even have access to the classified here until he hits 100 posts. So your solution isn't viable for a new WCer.

And for a first time WCer, there is nothing wrong with setting it up outside the case and testing. It's a great way to learn about bending hose, fitting clamps, learning how to fill/bleed a loop. For a first timer it's the SMART way.

boy you guys down south are REALLY getting ripped of then all new parts here in Canada

D5= $60
EK Supreme= $55
MCR320=$44
MicroRes=$15
Tubes & clamps= $10

Total= $189 + tax and shipping = 198 after shipping

but after all that it is true that air is much cheaper... like $70 for a fantastic cpu cooler vs ~$200 and learning curve... easy to see why air wins out

Last edited:
Back