• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

DIY Watercooling Kit IDEAS & HELP!!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Big_Daddy

Registered
Ok to start i am about to build a Core 2 Duo E2180 based system mainly for its overclocking potential and cheapness. For now though i am going practice ocing my AMD 64 2800.

I already have it oc'd from 1.6Ghz - 2.1Ghz using a good airflow design and currently my temps sit at 32C Idle & 45C Full Load. I can probably get to 2.2 or 2.3 with air cooling but dont want to push it.

So after much thought and research i have decided to go with a DIY watercooling kit. (((Ive decided to go all DIY with this and dont want to use any branded parts from cooling companies wat so ever, apart from the water block HAHA))).
For the kit im going to be using a Car Heater Matrix (core) as my radiator and an inline water pump from the local pet shop.

Anyway i have a couple of questions that someone or somepeople might be able to help with.

1. How do i build in a good air bleeding system?
2. What is the maximum strength of pump i should use, e.g. 600 l/h (litres per hour) or 3000 l/h etc pump? I know i have to make sure it doesnt use lots or power and keep the wattage down, ive seen a few that only use 10W power.
3. What is one of the best Heater Matrix to use from a UK car? Since i am in Scotland. lol
4. I am going to buy a CPU Water Block, any recommendations???

Thanks in advance for your help.

One site where ive been getting advice :-

http://archive.spodesabode.com/content/article/watercool/1

The search button does wonders. :-/

Browsing the pictures and looking at member signatures help alot too.

600lh is a good low end pump.(Ehiem 1048) Starting there is a good start, but a slightly bigger one will last you longer for future upgrades. Also more expensive.

A single 120mm sized core, or Dual sized is what you want (future proof upgrade -dual )

Water blocks? Apogee is very good. I like White Water, but it may not fit all your applications you want it too.

And 1/2" tubing is the only way to go.

Take a look at Jabtech.com for some competitive pricing.

Good luck & keep us posted.

well i dont know anything about uk cars so i wont touch that

however, bleeding your system is fairly simplistic. The best way to do it is to have your heatcore vertical so that the entrance/exit points are at the top. this helps to make sure that all the bubbles get out of the rad.

As always using the least amount of tubing possible always helps and so does a res. Now some people would suggest a T line which is fine but for bleeding I still prefer a res.

as for the water block the big boys on the block *chuckle* so to speak are the D-Tek Fusion and the EK-Supreme. Alternatively Swiftech make some good blocks to.

Try searching the forum for other recommendations as this type of question gets asked frequently

finally I would say to have a read through the watercooling stickies... lotsa good stuff in there

lol thanks, one thing i got first was the 1/2" tubing today when i was at the hardware store.

Im still reading through some other posts and stickies just now.

Am i right by saying that a copper heater matrix would be bettter than a aliminium one? I have seen a full copper matrix on ebay from a Nissan Micra.

Cheers guys

1/2" tubing is the only way to go.

7/16" is as good. We can argue if its better.

The difference between 3/8" & 1/2" is minimal at best.

Personally I'd look at a pump specific to PC water cooling. It will make it much simpler for your first time.

Check out http://www.swiftnets.com/ for almost everything you need.

They also make very complete, and well performing kits.

Back