• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

How to properly mount the MCW30?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Rickster

I just chipped my NF4 because of mounting issues. I've mounted this a couple of times before but I always had a bad feeling of chipping the corners of the chip or the block touching the little parts on the chip - and it has finally happened.

It's such a pain to work with 1/2 tubing. I think it's this reason that my block couldn't be seated properly and caused my northbridge to chip.

Are there any methods you use so that something like this doesn't happen?

I just chipped my NF4 because of mounting issues. I've mounted this a couple of times before but I always had a bad feeling of chipping the corners of the chip or the block touching the little parts on the chip - and it has finally happened.

It's such a pain to work with 1/2 tubing. I think it's this reason that my block couldn't be seated properly and caused my northbridge to chip.

Are there any methods you use so that something like this doesn't happen?

go with 3/8 tubbing :D its soooo easy to work with and a minor temp difference is still better then a broken chip and goofy sized tubes inside the case.

KAMSKI

well first off i would put the tubing on the block before i mounting. then to make a safer mounting i would make a cardboard ring (square) and place it over the chipset then put the block on. it should show you if your over tightening or not too.

go with 3/8 tubbing :D its soooo easy to work with and a minor temp difference is still better then a broken chip and goofy sized tubes inside the case.

KAMSKI

Prior to my first attempt using the 1/2 tubing I was using 7/16 tubing, but I have a set of 1/2 tubing silver tygon so I wanted to try it out. The tubing is great against bacteria.

Spawn-Inc said:
well first off i would put the tubing on the block before i mounting. then to make a safer mounting i would make a cardboard ring (square) and place it over the chipset then put the block on. it should show you if your over tightening or not too.

I normally put on the tubing before putting on the water blocks. The cardboard ring sounds like a good idea. I was planning with foam tape, but cardboard ring sounds better.

Personally, I don't mind "goofy tube sizes" if it works better! ;) I'd either go with 3/8" from the CPU to the NB and NB to GPU OR go to thin-walled 1/2" Tygon and SmartCoils (which is what I use). The thin-walled Tygon doesn't put nearly as much stress on blocks as the thick-walled tubing does. It can be turned as tight as 3/8" tubing and is very flexible but kinks easy, which is why you need SmartCoils to go with it.

Either way you can still use the Silver everywhere else in your loop ...

Back