• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Water Cooling Hypothetical

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Stratus_ss

Overclockix Snake Charming Senior, Alt OS Content
So i was pondering this for the last little while and decided to ask what others thought about it. Here is the situation

a C2D processor
maybe an 8800 gt
120X3 rad
120X2 rad

2X D5 pumps

If I was to not have any fans on this what do you think the temps would be on idle? At load?
How about 1 fan?
etc.

The reason I am wondering is because while searching around this section I found the thread where everyone agrees that the fans were the most noisy part of a loop. Therefore I am wondering if 2 rads exposed to an ambient of say 18C would be able to passively cool these parts. If not the gpu, how about the cpu only?

I understand that the D5's dump heat into the loop as well, would 1 D5 and 1 of the rads be better?
your thoughts please

The radiator required to passively cool that would have to be massive. Yes, fans are indeed the noisiest part, but that's why you buy quiet fans like low speed yate loons.

If I was to not have any fans on this what do you think the temps would be on idle?
Your question, while valid, is kind of like asking "If I bought a car, who fast would it go?" ..depends!

Since the cooling difference between no air going through a rad and at least some air going through is huge, it all depends on how much air goes through...kinda just like with fans, huh?

If you can find a way to make convection pull enough air through, what you propose will work, just not on, say, an overclocked E6600 CPU!

And by the way, skip the pump too ...hot water rises!

i think i might try different combos just for the hell of it... the rest of my stuff should be here tomorow

hopefully the "silent" case fans that are supposed to come with my armor will provide some good flow/noise ratio. If not I have some deltas around here somewhere

I think you would be able to run it Passive or very close . Fans with a 5v mod are very quiet . I also plan on trying two rads for passvie with my system once I get some more tubes . this is with my card and my cpu on one rad 3.2ghz was stable passive .

some low speed yate loons and the rads not in your site (behind the case, under a table or something) will definitely do the trick.

i think i might try different combos just for the hell of it... the rest of my stuff should be here tomorow

hopefully the "silent" case fans that are supposed to come with my armor will provide some good flow/noise ratio. If not I have some deltas around here somewhere

Probably not, I tossed all the stock fans in mine aside and replaced them all.

First off, you wouldn't need two D5 pumps for that. One pump would be sufficient.

Second, about 2 years ago I used a small copper core car rad passively and it worked as well as a BIXIII with 6 fans in push/pull that I used before it. I found a good deal on a PA120.3, and so changed to it to get everything internal. I run 3 yates at 4v ea, and find that the noise level is so low that there is no real difference between 3 yates at 4v and being completely passive.

Back